The matchup between the No. 22 North Carolina football team and Virginia will be the 121st installment of the "South’s Oldest Rivalry." The rivalry is tied for the second-longest series in NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision history, trailing only Minnesota-Wisconsin.

The Tar Heels could extend their eight-game road win streak with a win over the Cavaliers, whom they've beaten the previous six meetings. A UNC victory this weekend would be the 700th in program history.

How do they play?

In the first season under former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall, the Cavaliers have struggled to find an identity.

The Cavaliers rank outside among the worst in the ACC in total offense, total defense and rushing offense. Virginia leads the conference in one category --- yards per punt. Those are not the statistics of a team that has a solid identity.

The Cavaliers have found some success through the air as of late. If that trend continues, it could bode well for Virginia on Saturday.

Who stands out?

Juniors Micah Kiser and Quin Blanding are No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, in the ACC in tackles, after the duo led the conference last season. They are one of only two tandems in the country to lead their conference in tackles, joining TCU's Ty Summers and Travin Howard.

Kiser, whose 67 tackles rank sixth nationally, enters Saturday’s contest needing only one tackle to reach 200 for his career. Blanding, who had 62 tackles of his own, is the only defensive back from a Power Five conferences to rank in the top 20 nationally in tackles.

What is their biggest weakness?

Virginia is giving up just under 281 yards per game through the air, while UNC averages nearly 300 passing yards. Given the success of quarterback Mitch Trubisky this season, the Cavaliers could be in for a long day if they let the redshirt junior get into a rhythm early.

The biggest question facing the Tar Heel offense is the loss of senior receiver Mack Hollins, who is out for the remainder of the season after injuring his collarbone last week in a 20-13 win over Miami.

How could they win?

Senior running back Albert Reid has at least one rushing touchdown in five straight games for the Cavaliers. UNC has allowed 216 rushing yards per game and given up 19 rushing touchdowns.

The Tar Heels also allow touchdowns on 66 percent of opponents' red-zone trips, while the Cavaliers are No. 2 in the country in turning red-zone chances to touchdowns (80.9 percent). If Virginia can rely on its run game and convert in the red zone, it could pull the upset over North Carolina.

@CPhillips2020