UNC-system happenings for Oct. 19, 2016

Students from UNC-Wilmington make environmental PSAs

A public service announcement on environmental issues produced by UNC-Wilmington students is currently running on Wilmington's WECT-TV website through December.

The PSA was one of three produced by communications and environmental studies majors in a summer Environmental Documentary Production course. It was created for the City of Wilmington Stormwater Services division.

Bill Bolduc, associate professor of communication studies at UNC-Wilmington, taught the five-week course.

The students applied the videography and persuasive techniques taught in the course to their initial research. The videos were shot at Wrightsville Beach, the New Hanover County Landfill and the campus dining halls. 

Winton-Salem increases degree efficiency

Winston-Salem State University is implementing a degree efficiency program that will enable students to take fewer credit hours and graduate. 

It is one of four universities nationally participating in The Purposeful Pathways: Faculty Planning for Curricular Coherence program, led by the Association of American Colleges and Universities.

The program, funded by a grant from the Teagle Foundation, aims to increase college affordability by allowing the average student to graduate with fewer credit hours.

The average student needs 120 hours to obtain a bachelor's degree, but UNC-system students  average 139.2 credit hours. 

WSSU has already decreased the overall average number of credit hours from 137 to 128 since 2013 as a result of focusing more on effective academic advising for schedule planning.

The six-month long project will involve looking at faculty-led curriculum changes. WSSU faculty and administrators are currently examining general education courses to make sure they meet prerequisites for majors. 

App State opens student veteran resource center

Appalachian State University will open a new Student Veteran Resource Center after receiving a grant from the U.S. Department of Education.

The university received the three-year grant to help veterans on campus and used it to hire Eric Gormly, a six-year veteran from the U.S. Marine Corps. He was hired in June to help coordinate the center and work with the students who are active duty military personnel and veterans.

A public ceremony will be on Veteran’s Day to commemorate the center's opening. The Student Veteran Resource center will be located on the second floor of the Plemmons Student Union.