UNC volleyball completes weekend sweep with drubbing of Louisville

The No. 8 North Carolina volleyball team continues to roll, sweeping Louisville on Sunday (25-11, 25-21, 25-17) to stay undefeated in the ACC.

UNC (16-2, 8-0 ACC) entered Sunday with a 6-3 all-time record against Louisville (6-11, 1-6 ACC), with the last loss coming in 1992.

While the Tar Heels’ match against Notre Dame was all about the defense, Sunday’s contest was an offensive showdown.

UNC came out hot in the first set with a kill by redshirt senior Taylor Treacy and never looked back. Five aces, three from senior Sheila Doyle, gave the Tar Heels an edge on their way to take the first set 25-11.

After starting off up 6-3 in the second set, crucial errors hurt the Tar Heels and allowed the Cardinals to tie it 8-8. It was a sloppy affair for both teams, with 13 ties and six lead changes during the set. Despite putting up seven attacking errors and three service errors, the Tar Heels were able to squeak out the 25-21 win.

UNC came out hot in the third with a 9-4 start and never relinquished the lead. Led by first-year Taylor Borup, the Tar Heels put up a .481 hitting percentage. The Cardinals started a comeback to make the score 15-11, but a 10-4 run by the Tar Heels sealed the deal.

In her second career start, Borup made quite the impact on offense. The first-year led the team with 13 kills and a hitting percentage of .521 in addition to three blocks.

Two setters were key to the offensive production. Senior Abigail Curry led with 17 assists, while first-year Mariah Evans put up eight off of the bench.

The Tar Heels’ seven aces can be chalked up to the play of Doyle and Evans. Each posted three aces in the takedown of the Cardinals.

After a shaky second set, the Tar Heels recaptured their fire and jumped out to a 9-4 lead in the third. The lead was too much for the Cardinals to overcome, and UNC went on to a 25-17 win.

With big wins against Notre Dame and Louisville, the Tar Heels have shown their dominance on both sides of the ball. North Carolina remains undefeated in conference play and is the only undefeated team in the ACC.

Where do they play next?

UNC hosts Boston College on Friday at 6 p.m.