UNC women's golf disappoints in front of home crowd with ninth-place finish

The North Carolina women’s golf team had the privilege of carrying two golf teams and a home-field advantage during the Ruth Chris’s Tar Heel Invitational in Chapel Hill, but the Tar Heels could only muster a ninth place finish at Finley Golf Club this weekend.

The Tar Heels hoped to get off to a strong start on Friday, but struggled from the start. The Blue Team shot a 297 (+9) on the first day of the tournament, which was 15 strokes behind eventual tournament champions Wake Forest. The group fared a little better on Saturday, accumulating a score of 291 (+3) to jump to ninth place before the final day of the tournament.

The Blue Team couldn't take advantage of the momentum, however, shooting a disappointing 296 (+8) Sunday to finish the tournament at +21.

The White Team finished the tournament in last place with a four day score of 925 (+61).

Junior Lexi Harkins led the way for the Tar Heels on Par-3 holes, shooting 2-under-par, while first-year Brynn Walker scored 4-under-par on Par-5 holes for the team. 

Walker also scored the most birdies for the Tar Heels with 13, and Roshnee Sharna of North Carolina’s White Team scored the only eagle for either squad. Coach Jan Mann added that everyone was an equal contributor for the team during the weekend, and hopes the teamwork will play a crucial role in the team’s success for the remainder of the year.

The Tar Heels were not able to match the success they obtained on Saturday and settled for a score of 296 (+8) on Sunday, earning them a ninth-place finish for the tournament. 

Other than Sharna’s birdie, the White Team for the Tar Heels struggled during the weekend and finished in last place with an overall score of 925 (+61). Harkins was the top individual for the Tar Heels, finishing in a six-way tie for 22nd with a score of 220 (+4).

The Tar Heels hoped to impress the hometown crowd after claiming a victory at the Cougar Classic in Charleston, South Carolina, on October 4. Mann believed that the hometown crowd was a major distraction for her team, which resulted in their poor showing. She added that the team showed its potential numerous times throughout the course of the tournament, and will work on centering the team’s focus for the rest of the season.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will hope to rebound quickly when they travel to Wilmington to participate in the Landfall Tradition from October 23-25. The Tar Heels finished 14th in the tournament in 2015, and will aim to improve on the previous season’s showing.

@BrandonWhite95