UNC women's golf posts best tournament score in program history in Cougar Classic win

The North Carolina women’s golf team made history at the Cougar Classic in Charleston, South Carolina, recording the best tournament score in school history to win the team and individual competitions.

The Tar Heels got off to a strong start on Sunday. After the first round of play, four golfers were under par and the team sat in second place, three strokes behind Furman.

Junior Bryana Nguyen shot a 3-under par to pace UNC on the day. She recorded three bogeys, but made up for it with two eagles on the back nine.

Led by sophomore Kelly Whaley’s career-best round, North Carolina tied the school record for lowest team round on the competition’s second day.

Whaley recorded six birdies on the back nine to score a 6-under par score of 66. She ended the day tied for second place among individuals.

Three other Tar Heels also finished under par to round out the school's record-tying 10-under par performance. The team recorded 21 birdies and one eagle on the day.

With a score of 17-under par, UNC found itself sitting just one stroke behind first-place Furman entering the tournament’s final round.

North Carolina remained focused and composed in this final round. As Furman faded, the Tar Heels shot the best round of any team on the day.

A 9-under par performance secured a first place finish for UNC. This also secured the best ever team score in school history: 26-under par. North Carolina beat the previous record by 15 strokes.

Whaley turned in another impressive round on the day, firing in a 4-under par to take first place in the individual competition. She finished 11-under par for the tournament.

Whaley put on a truly dominant, record-breaking performance in her first collegiate victory. Her three round score of 205 is the lowest by any Tar Heel ever. She also recorded the lowest score under par in school history by three strokes, surpassing a record that had stood for 30 years.

After the tournament’s first round, Coach Jan Mann noticed that Whaley was missing putts she usually makes. Before the second round, the coaching staff decided to tweak her putting grip. This made all the difference for Whaley, as she improved her score by five strokes on the second day and would go on to win the tournament.

This was the first time UNC has won a tournament since the 2012-13 season. Given the dominant nature of the victory, North Carolina should feel confident as the season progresses. The team will need this confidence as they look to recreate last season's unexpected postseason success.

The Tar Heels will host the Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational from Oct. 14-16.

@The_Belshe