UNC women's soccer climbs ACC standings with 3-0 win over Pittsburgh

The No. 18 North Carolina women’s soccer team bounced back from last week’s loss and earned a 3-0 victory at Pittsburgh.

The match was delayed 90 minutes due to weather, but the Tar Heels (9-3-3, 4-2-2 ACC) emerged from the gates firing. They were the aggressor from the outset, outmatching the Panthers (2-13-1, 1-7 ACC) with a 6-1 shots advantage in the first half.

In the 16th minute of play, Bridgette Andrzejewski took on her defender, crossed over to her right foot and finessed a shot past the Pittsburgh goalkeeper from 22 yards out. It was the first-year’s seventh goal of the year and fifth in ACC play.

In the second half, North Carolina presented a more composed, controlled attack, capitalizing on a plethora of scoring opportunities.

After a Pittsburgh turnover, midfielder Megan Buckingham one-touched the ball past the goalkeeper in the 53rd minute. A few minutes later, Ru Mucherera notched her second goal of the season from 25 yards out, knocking the ball into the upper-left corner of the net.

North Carolina took care of business the rest of the way.

Buckingham — a junior from Novi, Michigan — has been Coach Anson Dorrance’s anchor in the middle of the field this season. She has started every game, recording three goals and two assists on the season.

Against Pittsburgh, she was able to both contribute to the Tar Heels’ scoring burst as well as get some rest — something Dorrance does not normally offer her.

The Tar Heels dominated all facets of the match from the kickoff en route an important ACC win. Megan Buckingham’s goal in the 53rd minute solidified North Carolina’s lead, and the Panthers were unable to generate enough quality opportunities to mount a comeback.

Although the Tar Heels are ranked 18th in the nation, they entered this match tied for fifth in the ACC. Each and every conference game is imperative.

UNC was finally able to break through and score three goals after its loss against Notre Dame last week. North Carolina was shut out against the Fighting Irish, even though it took 14 shots.

North Carolina travels to Syracuse, New York to take on the Orange at 1 p.m. on Sunday.