The North Carolina men's and women's basketball teams introduced themselves to UNC fans at Late Night With Roy on Friday at the Smith Center. Here are the highlights.

Spirit of competition

This year, the event took on a new, competition-based focus. The men's basketball players went head to head in a myriad of contests — from a relay race that featured junior wing Justin Jackson twerking and senior forward Kennedy Meeks lip-syncing "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston, to a 3-point competition that saw senior guard Nate Britt come out on top, to a pair of skill competitions dominated by junior guard Joel Berry and first-year forward Tony Bradley.

Dance-off to remember

When host Jessie Holley called the Blue and White teams to a tie in the team dance competition, junior guard Theo Pinson and Berry competed in a one-on-one dance-off.

With some help from Jackson and Meeks, Pinson brought the crowd to its feet. Berry followed up strong, ending his routine by dancing on top of Meeks. But Pinson's performance could not be outdone.

Scrimmages show promise

The women's basketball team took the court first. After a slow shooting start, it was the Jamie Cherry and Stephanie Watts show — giving the Blue team a 19-18 win.

Transfer Paris Kea struggled in the scrimmage, while first-year guard Taylor Koenen lit it up from behind the arc. Koenen's performance was good sign for the Tar Heels, who struggled with depth issues last season.

On the men's side, the first-years showed their potential to make an impact from the first score — as Brandon Robinson fed an alley-oop pass to Bradley for the first bucket of the game. Pinson, Berry and Britt also made an impact from behind the line. Though Berry dominated from behind the arc, he would go on to miss a 3-pointer in the final seconds of overtime to give the White team a 40-37 win.

@jbo_vernon

@rblakerich_