Word on the Street: What's the best part of living off campus?

All students fanaticize of the day that they will graduate from college and move into their own place. Whether it is an apartment or a house, there is something about living in a privately owned property that makes students feel independent and cool. For some students, living in a house or an apartment happens during their years in college, and living off-campus comes with its perks.

Swapnil Patel, a senior psychology major from Charlotte, N.C., lives in a house close to Franklin Street. “I like living off-campus because I get more privacy and it’s easier to study in a house rather than in a dorm,” Pate said. Patel also said he gets to keep his car close by, which he couldn’t do when he lived in a dorm.

We asked students: What's the best part of living off campus? 

Swapnil Patel (Photo provided by Swapnil Patel)

Senior

Psychology major from Charlotte, N.C.

“I have my own kitchen and a bigger room. Also, I don’t have to follow the holiday dates or more in or out by certain dates, and fire alarms- I don’t have to deal with fire alarms.”

Juliana Haag (Photo provided by Juliana Haag)

Sophomore

Biology major from Greenville, N.C.

“I just like the freedom and I like having my car and my own room and my own kitchen.”

McKinnon Brown

Junior

Communication and religious studies double major from Raleigh, N.C.

“We have a kitchen and I have had to learn how to be responsible. I’ve learned how to cook, and it just gives you a better sense of being an adult.”

Olivia Buffington (Photo taken by Krupa Kaneria)

Junior

Public policy and public relations double major from Greensboro, North Carolina

“I feel like I get exercise everyday because sometimes I don’t get to go to the gym. I feel like I get my own space and I feel like I have more of my own identity.”

Kaitlyn Mallie

Junior

Political science major from San Francisco, California

“I like the freedom of living off-campus. I like living in a house because I have a kitchen and more amenities.”

Tim Creedon(Photo provided by Tim Creedon)

Senior

Management and society major from Fayetteville, North Carolina

“It’s nice.”

Kasey Norton (Photo provided by Kasey Norton)

Junior

Biology major from Ashville, North Carolina

“I like living off-campus in an apartment because it makes me stay on campus longer during the day because I can’t go home so I get a lot more of my work done. I definitely feel like when you live off-campus, it makes you understand what you will have to do when you do live off-campus as an adult.”

swerve@dailytarheel.com