Word on the Street: What do you like best about on-campus housing?

Most students start out living on campus and have different experiences in different dorms. Staff writer Ashley Cruz asked students: What did you like best about on-campus housing?

Senior Katie Smith, philosophy and political science

“I lived in Morrison in my freshman year and that was really nice because there were a lot of freshmen when I was there, so you kind of got acquainted with a lot of other people who had no idea what they were doing, and we all figured it out together. It was a good community in Morrison and it was nice not being that far from classes. Sophomore year I lived in Ram Village 3 and the best part of that was the athletes that were down there. It was so much fun to get to see them and get to know them. There were a lot of cookouts and parties in the quad between the Ram Villages. It was a little bit more of an adult atmosphere in the Ram Village apartments.”

Senior Angela Tettey, anthropology

“You run into people that you don’t really run into. There is a different environment than like being in classes. You tend to befriend your suitemates and people on your floor. It is more of a community in a sense.”

Senior Claire Koenig, dramatic art

“I came in as a transfer student and it was helpful to have a base where I can meet people in the halls. They did a nice job putting me with older students than in a freshmen dorm, which I really appreciated. I only lived on campus for about a year, but the convenience — it was like super close to all of my classes."

Senior Sean Hicks, biology

“I think it is a good community and it is good when you are a freshman. I think it is good for navigating when you are starting out, but as time goes on it is a little restrictive in general. I kind of felt as if someone was watching me. You have that RA in the back of your mind.”

Sophomore Jamie Rose, chemistry

“I think the main thing is convenience to classes and everything on campus. I only stayed in Ehringhaus and I enjoyed it. I lived on the ground floor so that was nice to get in and out.”

Graduate student Lindsey Luxon, technology and communication at the journalism school

“I lived on campus all four years of undergrad and I really enjoyed it because I liked the convenience to classes and waking up at the last minute and being able to still make it to class. Just the buzz of campus is really cool.”