All up in your business for Nov. 22, 2016

Phoenix Academy Portraits
Phoenix Academy Portraits

Club Nova receives $40,000 grant

The nonprofit Club Nova was selected as one of ten recipients of the 2017 GSK IMPACT grant, worth $40,000.

The Carrboro-based organization works with Orange County residents with severe mental illness, said executive director Karen Kincaid Dunn.

“Essentially, Club Nova is a community of people with serious mental illness and helps people go back to school, back to work, get the benefits they are entitled to,” Kincaid Dunn said. “If they don’t have housing we help them secure housing — we do whatever it takes for people to live in the community.”

Kincaid Dunn said that they’re figuring out how to use the money.

“We are in desperate need of replacing a couple of our vehicles so that would be one option and the other option is that we’re looking at expanding Club Nova so we can more than double our capacity so we could also use it towards our expansion project,” Kincaid Dunn said.

Each of the three Club Nova clubhouses that are located in the Triangle area has received the IMPACT grant once in the last three years.

McAlister's Deli closes its doors on Franklin Street

The McAlister’s Deli on East Franklin Street permanently closed on Monday, Nov. 20.

Assistant Manager Malcolm McKinnon said the closure was from a business standpoint but was unable to speak further on the issue.

“As of right now, we don’t know what’s going to be here,” McKinnon said.

McKinnon said that all employees were informed about the closure on Monday.

“I’m currently going back to my old location on 15-501,” McKinnon said.

Ashley Stufano, a first-year student, said she loves getting lunch at McAlister’s Deli and she was devastated when she found out that the restaurant was shutting down.

“I would go there for lunch with my mom whenever she came into town,” Stufano said.

“I loved going there because their food was really really good and they’re a good lunch place if you don’t want something too heavy. I’m very upset about their closure, I had no idea.”

Beehive Salon begins Thankful Thursday

The Beehive Salon in Carrboro has recently begun a program known as Thankful Thursdays, which is focused on giving back to local charitable organizations.

Diane Koistinen, owner of Beehive Salon, said that they are donating 15 percent of their retail sales on Thursdays to a designated charity. Thursday, Nov. 17 was the first day the new program.

“I just started it basically as a reaction to my disappointment in the election,” Koistinen said. “I was trying to think of more ways to be more determined instead of angry or sad and just to move forward in a more productive way.”

The money raised by the program will be going to support Planned Parenthood operations in Chapel Hill through the end of December. Each month after, a different organization will be designated as the recipient of the money.

Koistinen said she hopes to make Thankful Thursdays a permanent element of her business and said she hopes other businesses will join her.