Anti-Trump graffiti discovered in Old Chapel Hill Cemetery

"Nazi pres elect" was spray painted on the gazebo in the Chapel Hill Cemetery. 

“Nazi pres elect” was spray-painted in the cemetery in reference to President-elect Trump.

Lt. Josh Mecimore, spokesperson for the Chapel Hill Police Department, said a second display of graffiti was discovered that read, “As a woman I am sad.”

The graffiti was reported by Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation Department employees, Mecimore said.

He said parks and recreation employees maintain Chapel Hill’s cemeteries and found the graffiti while doing maintenance.

He said the employees will request the graffiti’s removal by Chapel Hill Public Works Department.

Mecimore said there haven’t been any other reports of vandalism related to the 2016 election.

Historically, Orange County has voted liberally. The county has not voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 1928, when it voted for President Herbert Hoover.

In the 2016 election, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton defeated Republican candidate Trump in Orange County by about 50 percentage points. Trump won North Carolina, beating out Clinton by 3.77 percentage points.

In response to the election results, UNC students gathered Wednesday on the steps of South building to protest Trump’s victory.

Trump has made controversial comments about marginalized communities throughout his campaign, including threatening to ban all Muslim immigrants, bragging about sexually assaulting women and calling Mexican immigrants rapists.

The demonstration served as a platform for students to talk about their emotions and concerns about a Trump presidency.

@janelittle26