King of the Hill: The Campus Y

Samantha Ty, a senior and Global Studies major, testing out her coffee.

The first time I went to the Campus Y — the recognizable pink building close to Memorial Hall, across from the Old Well — I was in my junior year of high school. I was there for the UNC Catalyst Conference — an annual conference hosted by UNC students that brings together 100 high school students to learn about social justice. Catalyst is one of 30 committees at the Campus Y that focus on various social and environmental justice issues.

While I was in high school, I was often singled out for my passion for social justice. The weekend that I spent at The Campus Y during the Catalyst Conference assured me that I wasn’t alone.

I met other people who had the same interests and passions that I had, and I learned new things about social justice and activism. I reaffirmed my passion for activism, and I even learned about gender-neutral language, a concept that seemed new and radical to me at the time.

The Campus Y is a unique institution. It was started in 1963 when members of UNC’s YMCA and YWCA joined forces to create an organization without the problematic traits of their parent organizations.

The history of the Campus Y reflects the history of social movements in the American South. It has fought against injustices like segregation, gender inequality and world hunger.

The Campus Y’s executive board is led by UNC students who are elected every year. In addition to its 30 committees, the Campus Y also houses other organizations that help UNC students engage with social justice and community service, including the Bonner Leaders Program, CUBE, the Global Gap Year Fellowship and the Global Engagement Fellowship.

To put it frankly, they help students do a lot of really cool and important work.

As a high school student, spending time at the Campus Y gave me hope. I started to believe that in college, I would be able to find communities of people who care as much about making positive change as I do.

Now that I am a sophomore at UNC and a co-chair for a subcommittee in Catalyst, I know this to be true.

The Campus Y is one of the most fun, engaging and important places on campus. Whether you are interested in making the world a better place, becoming a student leader or simply enjoying some coffee and conversation, the Campus Y will welcome you with open arms.

Just like it did for me.

@KyleyUnderhill  

swerve@dailytarheel.com