Casey Greenwalt places 7th for UNC cross country in Adidas Three Stripe Invitational

The North Carolina Tar Heels competed in the Adidas Three Stripe Invitational on Saturday, where three men placed in the top 20 and two women placed in the top ten.

The men’s team finished in 12th, 16th, 17th, 22nd, and 27th place. First-year Mitch Resor finished in 12th with a time of 15:40.18 while senior Sam Miner finished in 27th place with a race time of 16:19. Junior Carl Geiger, first-year Luke Peterson and first-year Henry Pehr finished in 16th, 17th, and 22nd respectively.

On the women’s side, redshirt sophomore Casey Greenwalt shined for the Tar Heels, placing 7th with a time of 18:34.23, just .19 seconds faster than the eighth-place finisher. And first-year Tasha Regan finished in 9th with a time of 18:38.95.

First-year Tasha Regan showcased her potential, setting a new personal record by 26 seconds. The leap is a promising sign of her development going forward, especially considering Regan's youth.

N.C. State dominated at the race, placing first in the women's team.

For the men’s race, it was decided before the race was finished because of Furman’s strong runners. Furman University took first, second, and third place. Troy Reeder, who finished in first, ran a 14:38.56 setting a new personal record — with his previous being 15:19.70.

On the women’s race, it wasn’t decided until the runners crossed the finish line as North Carolina State had three runners finish just seconds before UNC’s Greenwalt.

The team is coming off of the ACC Championships, which was held at the same course a week ago. This race allows a portion of the team that has not run yet a chance to compete before the upcoming Regionals meet.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will race again on Friday at 12 p.m. in the NCAA Southeast Regional in Charlottesville, Virginia.

@mwc13_3