East Chapel Hill High student headed for Carnegie Hall

Cecilia Lee is a flautist and student at East Chapel Hill High School. She will perform in Carnegie Hall in February with other students.

Cecilia (Chae Hyun) Lee, a sophomore at East Chapel Hill High School, is one of nearly 750 students chosen to play in the 2017 High School Honors Performance Series at Carnegie Hall. The selections came out of a total of more than 18,000 applicants from across the globe and will include performers from every state, Canada, Guam and various other foreign nations.

Lee, who has been playing the flute for more than five years, said she most looks forward to being around other like-minded musicians who share her passion.

“Since I can’t take band this year, I’m just really excited to take part in a band that has everyone who enjoys band as much as I do,” she said. “It would mean a lot to me to meet people that share the same interests as me.”

The series, consisting of five ensembles including two choral ensembles, a string and symphony orchestra and an honors band, will bring selected students together for five days starting Feb. 2 to practice and learn under master conductors, while also getting a taste of the Big Apple. Lee is in the honors band ensemble.

The performances themselves will be on Feb. 5 at Carnegie Hall and will include an Honors Choral Performance and an Honors Instrumental Performance. Tickets will be available 60 days prior to the performance via the Carnegie Hall box office.

Erika Boysen, the assistant professor of flute at UNC-Greensboro and Lee’s current teacher, nominated Lee for the prestigious opportunity and spoke highly of her work ethic.

“It was kind of a given that I would nominate Cecilia because she possesses a significant work ethic both in her musical pursuits and in addition to her academic and volunteer-based pursuits,” Boysen said. “She’s just incredibly motivated and intelligent and talented. I think it’s very obvious that she will excel in any professional path of her choosing.”

Lee’s father, Woo Yong Lee, said he was proud of the accomplishment and said that it illustrated her talent in both music and school.

“I was very excited to hear she can do it both ways; she can be good in school classes and also in a music career,” he said. “It was amazing to hear that she got this achievement.”

Lee, who is also a member of the Triangle Youth Symphony, said she practices her flute for at least 30 minutes a day. Though she doesn’t intend to pursue music as a career, she plans to continue playing her flute throughout college.

When asked about any advice Lee may have for aspiring musicians, she laughed and offered a sage motto.

“Practice like you’re performing, and perform like you’re practicing.”