Employee Forum proposes nighttime parking pass

The Employee Forum met Wednesday morning to discuss nighttime parking issues and how the new five-year parking plan could affect employees of the University.

Chairperson Charles Streeter asked for feedback from the Employee Forum with regard to UNC's five-year parking plan. He said the forum needs to make a formal plan by Nov. 9 to present it to the Executive Committee and then to the Board of Trustees.

Streeter said right now there is not a plan that involves charging for nighttime parking.

If nighttime parking wasn't free, students, employees and anyone else associated or unassociated with the University would have to pay to park through a kiosk or a parking pass.

Streeter said this was a great option because it alleviated some of the burden off staff who work during the day and have to purchase commuter passes in order to park.

“Daytime permit holders are taking most of the burden of the increases, so we have people who are coming in the evening and they’re not paying,” Streeter said.

With these plans, Streeter said someone who has to purchase a pass for the daytime will have to pay about $250 more over the five-year span.

The nighttime parking pass would not cost the same amount as the daytime pass, but it would be enough to help offset some of the costs for those who have to buy daytime passes.

Who spoke?

Some employees questioned the fairness of the nighttime parking pass.

Those who purchase a pass for the daytime would not have to purchase a nighttime pass. But those who purchase a night time pass would not be allowed to park during the day without a pass. 

Krista Prince, coordinator for leadership development for the Department of Housing and Residential Education, said she didn’t think it would be fair for people like her to have to buy two separate passes.

“I come in at 7:45, and two days a week I’m here until 8 p.m., so I would have to buy two permits,” she said. “That would be a huge burden to bear to buy two passes just to be able to accomplish the work I need to get done.”

Ricky Roach, an energy utilities technician, said to make it fair, everyone could pay the same price.

Streeter said the parking issue can be solved by making everyone purchase a pass.

“It is a burden, but we have to distribute it,” Streeter said.

Why was this meeting important?

This meeting provided employees with another chance to discuss the five-year parking plan in an open forum before the deadline on Nov. 9.

When do they meet again?

The Employee Forum’s next monthly meeting will be on Dec. 7. The next Executive Committee meeting will be on Nov. 15.