Kennedy Meeks embraces rebounding role in UNC's 97-57 win over Chattanooga

UNC forward Kennedy Meeks (3) goes up for a block against Chattanooga on Sunday.

And in UNC’s 97-57 win over Chattanooga, Meeks showed he can be someone for the No. 6 North Carolina men’s basketball team to turn to after losing last year’s best rebounder — Brice Johnson.

“You’ve just got to pick up the slack, and that’s what I’ve been trying to do,” Meeks said. “That’s what I’ve — I’ll definitely continue to do.”

After grabbing 12 rebounds Sunday and 15 on Friday against Tulane, Meeks has emerged as a reliable big man in UNC’s first two regular-season games.

The rebounding performance is a drastic change for Meeks, who averaged 9.2 points per game and 5.9 boards a year ago.

“I was disappointed last year,” Meeks said. “Just because when I got hurt, I came back, I really wasn’t back to where I needed to be. And right now I really feel like I’m in the best shape of my life.

“I feel a lot stronger, a lot quicker, a lot more energy. So I’m definitely in a great position right now.”

The Tar Heels cannot afford a disappointing season from Meeks. With Johnson gone, Meeks is the only returning big man with experience as a regular starter.

“Some practices, (Coach Roy Williams) tells us, he’ll stop and look around (and say), ‘Brice is not here no more,’” forward Isaiah Hicks said. “We all got to pick it up. And I think Kennedy’s doing a really great job with that.”

Against Tulane, Meeks’ 15 rebounds — a new career high — more than doubled any of his teammates’ totals. But Williams was prouder of Meeks’ performance Sunday.

“I thought Kennedy did some good things,” Williams said. “He was much more active today. With the exception of the defensive board the other night, I thought he was really good there.”

Meeks also shot 6-for-12 with 14 points against Chattanooga — earning his first double-double of the season. He shot just 4-for-13 on Friday.

Even as North Carolina struggled against the Mocs early on Sunday, Meeks remained consistent. His first block set up Hicks for UNC’s first basket of the game. And in the first five minutes, he tallied two blocks and five rebounds— adding a jumper to tie the game.

“I think it’s definitely me getting stronger,” Meeks said. “I worked extremely hard this summer in the weight room with (UNC strength and conditioning coordinator) Jonas (Sahratian) just to try to do whatever I needed to be put in those positions.”

Hicks has already noticed the difference, especially compared with Meek’s first year on the team.

“Jonas was always getting on him, Coach was always getting on him,” Hicks said. “You know, everybody was always getting on him.”

But now? Not so much.

It’s the little things that have changed in Meeks — how he eats, how often he signals that he’s tired, how much he runs in practice and in games.

Hicks said he’s even seen Meeks bench over 300 pounds in the weight room.

“I’m just like, ‘Dang, this is a long way,’” Hicks said.

Williams still wants Meeks to improve his shooting percentage, but he is pleased with what he has seen so far. And with the work Meeks is putting in, it looks like his newfound explosiveness is paying off in his final year.

“That’s one of the main things I want to do for this team is definitely be the rebounding guy,” Meeks said. “Definitely just clean the glass, box out the best way I can.”

@rblakerich_