Letter: ​Don’t assume worst about Trump voters

In your editorial, “Now is the time for all of us to speak out against hate,” you express incredulity at the backlash from your ill-thought quick hit maligning evangelical Christians for their support of President-elect Trump.

According to preliminary data from Pew Research, Trump also won a plurality of the Catholic vote, 52 to 45 percent, a group President Obama won 54 to 45 percent and 50 to 48 percent in 2008 and 2012, respectively. Does this make Catholics bigoted?

As an alum who is Catholic, disabled and was very involved with the Newman Catholic Student Center as a student, I can tell you that most Catholics I know, as well as my wife and I, voted for Trump not because they support his antics, but because Hillary’s inner circle harbored a deep bigotry towards Catholics (see Podesta emails) and advocated issues and policies deeply opposed to Catholic teaching.

The Obama administration’s decision to haul a group of nuns serving the elderly poor before the Supreme Court for refusing to violate the faith that animates their vocation turned many U.S. Catholics off to the progressive agenda.

Additionally, as filmmaker Michael Moore has said numerous times since the election, millions of Americans who voted for Obama TWICE voted for Trump. Do you seriously think all those people suddenly woke up and decided to be all the awful things the media has accused them of? If you’d like people to listen to other perspectives, perhaps you shouldn’t assume the worst about people who voted differently than you did.

Michael Lewis

Class of ‘09