Opinion: We can all learn from Glenn Beck’s change of heart

2016 was truly the year of “anything can happen.” In the most obvious ways, it set the stage for major changes that are going to come in the political and international spheres of the world.

It seems as if the world had been living in a perpetual status quo, with different ideas for directions on where to go from “the norm.”

In many cases, the far right and “silent majority” have won, leaving many of those who generally aligned with that party to be ecstatic.

Except for, somehow, one person: Glenn Beck. In the wake of all major changes that have occurred this year, nothing seemed as shocking as Beck’s.

Formerly known for his rants about new world orders and conservative ideals, Beck’s transformation on many issues has been remarkable from the standpoint that they are essentially the complete opposite of everything he has generally preached.

[Also check out: Journalism should seek the truth, not balance sides]

He was once one of President Obama’s harshest critics, but he is now thanking Obama for changing him.

Once opposed to the phrase “Black Lives Matter,” even leading an “All Lives Matter” parade in Birmingham, Alabama, he now encourages conservatives to listen to the movement.

Regardless of which side you stand on with these issues, let’s praise Beck’s open-mindedness to new ideas and perspectives.

[Also check out: Donald Trump is not the problem; he only represents it]

In the midst of people who are so stuck on their beliefs and unwilling to budge or compromise on major issues, Beck has shown that he is willing to do both.

Of course, there are many things Beck has stuck to, but his change on major issues shows that he can critically challenge conventional wisdom. In a way, we can all learn something from Glenn Beck.