Question marks surface in No. 5 UNC's 93-67 win over Long Beach State

Justin Jackson (44) and Kennedy Meeks (3) go up for a rebound against Long Beach State Tuesday evening. 

The North Carolina men's basketball team won 93-67 over Long Beach State on Tuesday in the Smith Center. But the fatigue showed in the Tar Heels' third game in five days, as they only outscored the Rams by three in the second half.

The scoring and rebounding margins between the two teams also mask some of the struggles Justin Jackson, Isaiah Hicks and Kennedy Meeks dealt with and played through.

It started off well for the Tar Heels, who started the game on a 14-0 run. Long Beach State didn't earn its first points of the night for nearly eight minutes. 

But Long Beach State started out the second half on a 17-10 run, and there were signs of frustration all over the court for the Tar Heels. At a timeout with 13:35 left in the second half, Coach Roy Williams punched his clipboard in frustration.

One stretch in the middle of the second half illustrates the lull in the Tar Heel offense. Meeks missed two free throws in a row with 9:25 left in the second half. In between the first and second miss, nearly everyone in the Smith Center could hear him yell at himself.

“I told (assistant) coach (Hubert) Davis, ‘I’ve been shooting like Ben Wallace, dog,'" said Meeks, who made one of four free throws Tuesday. “I’ve never shot this bad from the free-throw line, ever.”

After the second miss, UNC got the offensive rebound and the ball ended up in Hicks' hands. While unguarded, he quickly sent an entry pass in the post to Meeks. He sent it right back to Hicks, who clanged an open jumper off the rim.

It was a disjointed possession from the Tar Heels' two big men, who usually display more chemistry.

“Kennedy can’t post up and stay in there the whole time,” Williams said. “He’s got to get out, so we can have some space to drive. And he was in there and Isaiah never went in there because he thought Kennedy was in there all the time.”

The Tar Heels were also down two injured players: Theo Pinson and Luke Maye. Those two are essentially North Carolina’s fourth and fifth big men, with Pinson assuming the four spot in the Tar Heels' small-ball lineup.

Without those two, North Carolina doesn’t really have a fifth big at this point. Jackson said the job would fall to guard Kenny Williams over his taller perimeter teammates like Brandon Robinson, but that’s a real last resort. Instead, the burden of playing those extra minutes falls almost entirely on Jackson. 

“Coach even joked around in practice the other day, he accidentally said (Kenny's) name to go play the four, and then he said, ‘No, no, no,’” Jackson said. “And then he just said my name.”

The two injuries affect Jackson more than anyone else on the roster. Against Long Beach State, he rose to the challenge with 14 points and 10 rebounds. But his ability and stamina will be tested on North Carolina's upcoming road trip in Hawaii. 

By the end of the game Tuesday, the Tar Heels were simply content with the 26-point win.

Hicks hit a jumper with 3:21 left in the game to put the Tar Heels up 88-58. After the basket, Meeks leaped up from his position on the bench and roared in approval of his teammate.

Any issues among the frontcourt starters, or worries about depth, would be dealt with later.

@bauman_john