UNC football falls 28-21 to N.C. State to end ACC Coastal hopes

After falling behind 21-0 early to in-state rival N.C. State, the North Carolina football team roared its way back to within seven points in the fourth quarter. But the Tar Heels (8-4, 5-3 ACC) were unable to climb all the way back, falling 28-21 to the Wolfpack (6-6, 3-5 ACC) on senior day at Kenan Stadium.

Before UNC could even react, the game had gotten out of hand. After a promising start — highlighted by a 34-yard scramble from quarterback Mitch Trubisky — the Tar Heels’ drive stalled.

Though the empty possession seemed harmless at the time, it was the beginning of one of UNC’s worst halves this season. Just over three minutes later, the Tar Heels would fall down two scores.

After a quick 89-yard scoring drive from the Wolfpack on its first possession, Trubisky started UNC’s second possession with a fumble. N.C. State capitalized on the mistake with yet another quick touchdown drive to take a 14-0 lead.

The Tar Heels seemed stunned. The slow start had given N.C. State the momentum, and UNC struggled to get it back. The Tar Heel offense found some success moving the ball but couldn’t produce any points before N.C. State powered its way to another score and a 21-point lead.

With its back against the wall, UNC began to battle back. After finally getting on the scoreboard on a 4-yard pitch and catch from Trubisky to senior Ryan Switzer, UNC entered the locker room with momentum on their side.

But to come back from the large deficit, North Carolina needed a near-perfect second-half performance. And it almost got it.

The offense began to put complete drives together as the defense settled in. All of the sudden, UNC had the ball and trailed by just seven with 6:53 left in the fourth quarter.

But when it mattered most, the Tar Heels' first-half mistakes — poor passes, drops and penalties — began to rear their ugly heads. Mental errors doomed the Tar Heels on their final drive, as UNC fell just short of an improbable comeback.

Despite the loss, wide receiver Ryan Switzer had a monster game for the Tar Heels — almost single-handedly willing his team to a comeback.

Switzer finished with 13 receptions, 171 yards and a touchdown. Especially early, the senior receiver was the only receiver or running back that could hold onto a pass. Switzer’s fellow receivers eventually settled into the game, but he was UNC’s most consistent player throughout.

Late in the game, Switzer broke UNC's all-time single-season receptions record, finishing the regular season with 91 catches.

Though the game looked like it was decided multiple times, it wasn't really over until the waning minute.

Even after the UNC offense failed to convert on 4th-and-20 with 3:10 left in the game, the defense nearly got them the ball back. The Tar Heels forced N.C. State to 3rd-and-5 with 2:56 remaining, but a 14-yard quarterback keeper on third down iced the game and confirmed UNC's downfall.

Apart from being a rivalry game, this contest had a number of end-of-season implications. With the win over UNC, N.C. State became bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season.

For UNC, the loss officially knocked North Carolina out of the running for an ACC Coastal title. With a win against the Wolfpack and a Virginia Tech loss, the Tar Heels would have earned a spot in the ACC Football Championship in Orlando on Dec. 3. Instead, UNC picked up its third ACC loss and will finish second in the division.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels await their bowl selection on Dec. 4.

@_Brohammed