UNC volleyball beats Miami in four sets

The No. 12 North Carolina Volleyball team got back on track Friday night as they took down Miami (25-18, 25-16, 23-25, 26-24) away from home.

The Tar Heels got off to a fast start, as senior setter Abigail Curry served them out to a 5-0 lead to open the first set. Miami did not fold, however, battling back to take a 15-14 lead. However, UNC dominated the rest of the frame, going on to take the first set 25-18.

The second set started much the same as the first, as the Tar Heels got out to an 11-4 lead early on. This time they didn’t let Miami back into it, and never led by less than 5 points as they cruised to a 25-16 win. A kill from Taylor Treacy closed out the set in style.

North Carolina took an early lead once again in the third set, but Miami battled back. The Hurricanes pulled ahead midway through the set, and managed to hold on despite a comeback attempt by the Tar Heels, taking it 25-23.

Miami started out the fourth set strongly, jumping out to an early lead that they soon stretched to an 18-10 margin. However, the Tar Heels kept fighting and cut the deficit in half to make it 22-18 in favor of Miami. In the end they completed an improbable comeback, as Treacy took control over the final few points, with four kills in the last six points to win the set 26-24 and the match for the Tar Heels.

The Tar Heels had a balanced attack, as four players had nine or more kills, led by first-year Taylor Borup with 11. Junior Beth Nordhorn also had a fantastic game, as she tied her career highs with nine kills and seven blocks.

Another stand-out was first-year Julia Scoles, who had seven kills on her return from an injury that kept her out of the last four matches.

Although the Tar heels got off to a fast start, Miami continued to fight and looked as though they would tie up the match at 2 sets apiece midway through the fourth set. However, the Tar Heels led a fantastic comeback as they won 16 out of the last 22 points to take the last set, and the match, in dramatic fashion.

Coming into the game, UNC was tied with Florida State at the top of the ACC rankings. But the Seminoles slipped up, suffering a five-set loss to N.C. State Friday night, leaving the door open for the Tar Heels. They were able to take advantage, as the win over Miami sent them into sole possession of first place in the ACC.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will stay in the Sunshine State, as they travel north to face the No. 10 Florida State Seminoles in what will be a battle between the two top dogs in the ACC.