UNC women's basketball dominates Elizabeth City State, 115-51, in final tune-up

The North Carolina women’s basketball team defeated the Elizabeth City State Vikings, 115-51, on Monday in the team’s final exhibition game of the 2016-2017 season.

The Tar Heels snatched the advantage from the outset, starting the game with seven unanswered points and ending the first quarter on a 16-0 run. Stephanie Watts contributed 16 points, going 5-of-7 from the field in the opening period.

The Tar Heels attained a 59-23 lead by the end of the first half.

The tone was set, and the Tar Heels’ domination did not waver. The Vikings just could not compete with the size and talent Coach Sylvia Hatchell funneled into the game.

Both teams continued to compete despite how the scoreboard read, however. North Carolina, even when up 20-plus points, did not stop full court pressing until the break. And even then, the Tar Heels still stuck to the fast-paced, pressure-the-ball gameplan.

At the dawn of the third quarter, North Carolina caused four Elizabeth City State turnovers in its first five possessions. Fast-break buckets were ubiquitous throughout the game, and the Tar Heels eclipsed the century mark on the scoreboard with over eight minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.

Watts stood out, just like she will be expected to all season. The guard from Wesley Chapel, North Carolina, was a second team All-ACC selection as well as the ACC Freshman of the Year last season. She notched 35 points in just 24 minutes.

Naomi Van Nes, on the other hand, stood out when she stood up. The 6-foot-6 first-year from Dorchester, England, only scored four points in 13 minutes, but she was a force to be reckoned with on the block. Not to mention, she was able to run the floor with ease — a necessary quality to play on a Hatchell squad.

The contest was decided within the first couple of minutes of the first quarter, when the Tar Heels made their initial run. 

Once the North Carolina 3-point shots started falling, it wasn’t long before fans, players and coaches knew the bottom line of the contest’s narrative.

Any preseason contest is a chance to measure where a team is, and Hatchell took full advantage of the opportunity to let her squad run free. North Carolina proved that its gameplan will be just like any other year: Play fast and play tough.

Where do they play next?

North Carolina opens regular season play at 4 p.m. on Friday, when it will take on Alabama State at home.

@alexzietlow05