UNC women's basketball rides defense, hustle in season-opening win

Paris Kea (22) drives the ball forward in the game against Alabama State on Friday.

UNC beat Alabama State, 84-54, for its first win of the season. The Tar Heels (1-0) used their superior athleticism to play stifling defense — forcing the Hornets (0-1) into 23 turnovers — while also crashing the offensive boards to get easy layups on an uncharacteristically poor shooting night.

UNC didn’t have a chance to do its usual shootaround before the game due to the early 4 p.m. tipoff. Coach Sylvia Hatchell said that might have contributed to the team’s first-half shooting woes — the Tar Heels shot 33.3 percent from the field, 17.6 percent behind the arc and an abysmal 53.8 percent from the free-throw line.

“We usually shoot on game day and get up quite a few shots, and I think that really makes quite a difference,” Hatchell said. “But it’s hard to complain when you get 84 points.”

Instead, UNC relied on its defense to help build a lead, forcing 13 turnovers in the first half and holding the two-time defending SWAC Tournament champions to just seven points in the second quarter en route to a scrappy 36-22 halftime lead.

In the second half, things started to click for the Tar Heels. UNC shot 47.1 percent from the field and drastically improved its free-throw percentage, nearly doubling its first-half output by going 13-for-15 from the line.

Redshirt sophomore Paris Kea became the focal point for the offense, driving to the hoop to draw fouls and pulling up with her trademark mid-range jumper. She picked up a team-high 22 points — including a perfect 6-for-6 from the charity stripe — in her first official game in a North Carolina uniform after sitting out last season as a transfer from Vanderbilt.

“Just had a lot of built-up energy,” she said. “Felt good to finally contribute on the court.”

In addition to Kea’s strong performance, UNC rebounded well on the offensive end, hauling in 19 offensive rebounds as a team. The hustle led to easy layups or trips to the line, allowing the Tar Heels to pull away from Alabama State.

First-year forward Emily Sullivan added four offensive rebounds and 12 points off the bench in her debut.

“On the bench, we always try to stay in the game,” Sullivan said. “So that when we do come in the game, we’re able to make an impact and get started right away.”

Sophomore Stephanie Watts — the 2016 ACC Freshman of the Year — also contributed on the glass, pulling in five offensive boards while nursing an injured thumb she hyperextended in practice the day before.

Outside of the team’s shooting woes, Hatchell said she thought the team did a lot of other things well. But she noted there’s still plenty of room for improvement.

She highlighted the team’s chemistry, which will continue to grow as the players gel with one another.

“It was a good win against a good team,” Hatchell said. “And we’re looking forward to continuing to get better.”

Besides, it’s only the first game of the regular season. The Tar Heels have time to make it look good.

@sjdoughton