Watch the game at these bars and restaurants

When Sup Dogs on Franklin Street opened, owner Bret Oliverio welcomed new patrons as they came in the door.

It doesn’t matter that the Dean Dome holds 21,750 people — one of the smallest in its league, by the way. It doesn’t matter that Kenan Stadium holds 63,000 people. The only thing that matters is seeing the Tar Heels doing what they do best — crushing their competition in every variety of sport.

Many restaurants offer prime real estate to watch the game, like Top of the Hill and Spanky’s.

But some students — namely students under 21 years old — face limitations.

Sup Dogs is a popular alternative for UNC sport fans rejected from games, especially for students under 21.

The Franklin Street restaurant appeals to first-year Alessandro Uribe-Rheinbolt.

“There’s a TV and you don’t have to be in a bar,” he said.

Sophomore Taylor Boole said where he goes depends on who he is with.

“If I’m with my parents, I’ll go to TOPO,” he said. “If not, I’ll go to Spanky’s.”

First-year Elizabeth Looney said she watches the game on a TV in her residence hall with her suitemates.

“My friends are there,” she said, which saves her the long walk to Franklin Street.

Senior Daniel Tompkins said that he and his friend Matt Brinsmead stay home for football games. However, for basketball games, they like to go to a bar on Franklin Street.

“For March Madness, we were at He’s Not,” Tompkins said.

Unfortunately, the rejection from UNC sporting events is inevitable, but students can easily find alternative spaces to cheer for the Tar Heels.

@cjheld

swerve@dailytarheel.com