What to know about the newest men’s basketball commits

Jalek Felton

Jalek Felton — the nephew of former Tar Heel and NBA player Raymond Felton — is the highlight of this 2017 recruiting class.

Felton impressed Coach Roy Williams with his talents on offense, from quickness to passing to driving to the basket.

The four-star combo guard from West Columbia, South Carolina, averaged 24.1 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.4 assists at Mullins High School last year and should mesh well with North Carolina’s fast-paced style of play.

Felton might need to put on some weight, but Williams believes that with his natural athleticism, the 6-foot-4 guard has room to develop into a great player for the Tar Heels.

Look for Felton to add energy to UNC’s offense. Like Theo Pinson last year, Felton could provide a spark from the bench, particularly in transition.

Andrew Platek

A three-star shooting guard from Schenectady, New York, Andrew Platek will provide some depth to UNC’s backcourt. Platek averaged 11.7 points and 4.7 rebounds last year, and in his first game this season, Platek scored 20 points.

It was Platek’s shooting and toughness that first stood out to Williams. And the UNC coach says that toughness will translate into hard work on the court and in the gym, showing promise for Platek’s growth.

Platek can be expected to develop in the Tar Heels’ environment, as he joins a backcourt full of talented veterans he can learn from.

Brandon Huffman

With Isaiah Hicks and Kennedy Meeks graduating after this season, Tony Bradley and Luke Maye are UNC’s only big men eligible to return next year.

That makes Brandon Huffman — a three-star center who moved from Anchorage, Alaska, to Raleigh — a crucial piece of next year’s lineup. He will likely get considerable minutes in the frontcourt next year.

At 6-foot-9, Huffman shows promise in that likely role. His length gives him an edge when it comes to defense and rebounding, and Williams says his frame sets him up for future success.

Expect Huffman to grow into a frontcourt presence, especially on the defensive end.

Sterling Manley

Like Huffman, power forward Sterling Manley will take on an important role in UNC’s lineup next year, when the Tar Heels lose both of their current starting big men.

North Carolina will have to overcome an inexperienced frontcourt next year, so depth is a must. And Manley could help in that regard.

At 6-foot-10, Manley can make waves at the rim for the Tar Heels. The three-star recruit from Pickerington, Ohio, will team up with Huffman to serve as the relief for next year’s likely starting big men, Maye and Bradley.

With his size, Williams said Manley — like Huffman — carries untapped potential that UNC could use to its advantage.

@rblakerich_