Event allows students to explore faiths

At Monday night's FaithFest, students were able to learn more about the many different religions on campus.

An annual event hosted by student government’s Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Outreach Committee, FaithFest this year involved UNC Hillel, Ahmadiyya Muslim Student Association, UNC Muslim Students Association, Hare Krishna and the UNC Black Student Movement.

Karli Krasnipol, a junior and member of the Multicultural Affairs and Diversity Outreach Committee, said it was events like FaithFest that made her get involved with student government.

“It’s so important to be inclusive on campus especially with what’s been going on in the nation right now and internationally with things of that nature,” Krasnipol said. “It just makes sense to have things like this on campus where everyone is invited to learn about each other’s cultures and religions because if we don’t all try and understand each other, where does that leave us as a student body? That doesn’t leave us united, that doesn’t leave us feeling comfortable and wanted on campus. So for me, it makes me feel included on campus.”

The atmosphere at FaithFest felt inviting, with the different groups mingling and talking with each other and attendees.

Khadiga Konsouh, a senior who was at FaithFest representing the UNC Muslim Students Association, participated in the event last year as just an attendee. 

“I just came as a person wanting to learn more about other religions,” Konsouh said. “And I got to talk to other tables and learn about other religions. Like I didn’t really know about Hinduism or had my own misconceptions, so I think it’s really nice for people to come and ask their questions and ask, 'Is this true, and if it’s not, what, what is the truth?' And it’s just nice for people to be aware of the different faiths on campus.”

While Konsouh was representing a group this year, there were plenty of other students asking questions at the event.

Katie Starr, junior, said she saw the event online and decided to go because she thought the event was something not usually offered to students.

“It’s very cool,” Starr said. “There’s a wide variety of tables here with people who are kind and wanting to teach you all that they have to offer.”

Starr was at FaithFest with her friend, Catherine Royston, who is also a junior. 

Royston said she was Catholic and thought FaithFest was nice because she did not know enough about other religions. 

“It’s really important, especially around the holiday season,” Royston said. “You really only think about Christmas and Hanukkah, and there are a lot of other religions out there. And I think it’s important for there to be a safe space for people to share their beliefs and talk about them.”

Toward the end of FaithFest, some of the students representing Hare Krishna demonstrated how to do a musical mantra. Attendees were encouraged and participated in the mantra.

Senior Akshay Gupta, who represented Hare Krishna, said the mantra was a way to end on a peaceful note.

“Mantra meditation consists of different names of God. And you can chant it either musically or with beads," Gupta said. 

"And the kind of goal is, the 'man' means mind and the 'tra' means free, so by chanting the mantra you just become like more peaceful and free from stress.”

@sethpyle22

swerve@dailytarheel.com