No. 8 North Carolina beat the Northern Iowa 85-42 Wednesday night. Kennedy Meeks led the team with 18 points and eight rebounds.

North Carolina started slow, failing to pull away from the Panthers. The game was tied at 9-9 with 16:05 left in the first half. From there, North Carolina held the lead for the rest of the night, but Northern Iowa hung close behind. With 4:27 left in the first half, UNC was up by only one, at 23-22.

The Tar Heels went on a little run at the end of first half, taking a 33-26 lead into the locker room. Kennedy Meeks led the team with eight points and UNC had an 18-13 advantage on the boards. However, North Carolina struggled from the outside, shooting just 1-8 from beyond the arc.

A fast start to the second half closed the door on a Panther upset. The Tar Heels’ talent showed, especially inside.

An Isaiah Hicks dunk with 6:09 left in the second half — a true posterizer all over an unprepared Panther defender — sent the crowd at the Smith Center to its feet and capped off the Tar Heel win.

After some choice words from Coach Roy Williams at halftime, Kennedy Meeks came out and took control of the court. Meeks put up 10 points in the second half, bringing his total to 18 on the night. Known for his physicality on offense, Meeks brought that same aggression to the defensive side of the ball, collecting four defensive rebounds. He set the tone for the Tar Heels to hold the Panthers to just 16 points total in the second half and earned the praise from his teammates and Williams.

It was another classic Joel Berry 3-pointer. Less than three minutes into the second half, Hicks missed a jumper, followed by a rebound and miss by Meeks. In traffic, sophomore guard Kenny Williams grabbed the rebound and slung it out to a wide-open Berry who calmly drained a 3-pointer. The crowd went into a frenzy and all momentum was lost for the Panthers.

The game was North Carolina's first since the loss in an instant classic against Kentucky on Saturday in Las Vegas. The win allowed the Tar Heels to get back on track before a final non-conference game against Monmouth on December 28th.

ACC play starts on Dec. 31 when North Carolina travels to Georgia Tech. It’s time for UNC to start playing its best basketball, slowly rounding into shape and peaking in March. Wednesday night’s win was the next step in that direction.

Where do they play next?

North Carolina hosts Monmouth on Wednesday, Dec. 28 at 7 p.m.