Pimp my dorm: HOLIDAY EDITION

Photo courtesy of Connie Jin

Photo courtesy of Connie Jin

‘Tis the season to be jolly — and trick out our dorms! In the midst of this holiday season, with LDOC just out of reach and exams looming on the horizon, many students are taking time out of their busy schedules to brighten up their dorm rooms with some holiday decor.

Normally drab-looking residence halls transform into winter wonderlands around this time of year thanks to our festive fellow Tar Heels. Students figure out unique and creative ways to decorate their spaces, using everything from wreaths, twinkle lights and electric menorahs to paper snowflakes and holiday-themed meme garland.

If you haven’t had time to deck out your dorm yet — or you have, and just want to see some of your on-campus decorating competition — here are some of the merriest and brightest dorms on campus to help feed your holiday spirit!

All hail sophomores Shea Stanley and Mary Beth Browne’s ~suite~ activities!! We are not worthy!!! 

Last year, Stanley and Browne assured a Meme-y Christmas for all when they transformed their Koury Residence Hall room into a dreamy land of Nicolas Cage cats and extremely rare festive Pepe frogs.

According to Stanley, their unique holiday decor actually originated as somewhat of a revenge plot against Browne, who was not yet in the Christmas spirit. Stanley originally started hanging colorful string lights around their room just to bug her roommate.

However, Browne grew to love the cheery vibe of their room, and soon pitched in by using her CCI printing money to add some of their favorite memes. The girls even got a Charlie Brown-style Christmas tree.

This year, they are going for a similar vibe in their Teague Residence Hall room, with a healthy dose of colorful lights, a larger Christmas tree and, of course, memes. They love the “home-y” feeling of their space, and said that many of their friends like to do homework in their room because of the cheerful feel. 

Stanley, who students may know as the famed creator of carolfolt.com, said decorating reminds students of the holiday season.

“I think on a college campus you kind of forget about the world,” she said. 

“I think Christmas with family is great,” Browne said. “But I think having Christmas with the family you select — aka your friends in college — is also something that’s really special and fun. Also, exams are really stressful, so to be able to have a literal bright spot is nice.”

The girls hope to add a “Christmas Carol (Folt)” to their room (and perhaps carolfolt.com) to honor both the holiday season, and our campus queen, Chancellor Carol Folt.

Brooke Stewart and Erica Rodgers, both first-years, brightened up their room in Ehringhaus Residence Hall with this school-spirited tree as well as some string lights and a singing snowman.

Rodgers, a nursing major, says that people are impressed when they see that the two girls actually have a sizable Christmas tree in their dorm room. She also said the Carolina theme is no surprise if you know Stewart, her roommate.

The pair loves the way the tree brightens up their dorm room, and Rodgers says she feels it’s never too early to start decorating for Christmas.

“Everyone is just happier this time of year,” Rodgers said. “And it’s such a fun time of year. It just brings out the joy in people.”

Juniors Allison Hilliard and Caroline Dunham also added some holiday and school spirit to their Aycock Residence Hall room with a UNC-themed tree and a few string lights. 

The pair decided that with exams being so late in December this year, they wanted to add some cheer to their space.

“We wanted to bring some cheer since we are going to be here for a while,” Dunham said.

Hilliard said some of the ornaments on their tree are presents they received from friends last year.

The girls agreed that the best part of decorating for the holidays is how it makes people happy.

First-years Abbigale Shumaker and Andi Morgan make their door the envy of the hall with this glorious (TWINKLING!!) wreath! 

It’s impossible to miss this brilliant adornment on the girls’ door, but the girls are planning even more holiday decor for inside their Stacy Residence Hall room. 

Their seasonal additions include string lights and a tiny potted Christmas tree, which they plan to decorate with more lights and ornaments. However, the girls don’t just go all out for Christmas; they also decorated their door with autumn decor for Thanksgiving.

Shumaker loves how decorating for the holidays makes people so cheerful, and appreciates the general spirit of this time of year.

“I just like that it brings people together,” Shumaker said. 

“I love giving gifts and making other people happy. And, of course, I love the holiday food.”

@kaitlynbgreen

swerve@dailytarheel.com