Seventh Woods fills in for injured Joel Berry against Radford

UNC guard Joel Berry (2) goes for a contested layup against Radford on Sunday.

With 17:36 left in the second half of the North Carolina men’s basketball team’s 95-50 win over Radford, the Smith Center went dead silent. Berry, the Tar Heels’ emotional leader, was down on the floor after rolling his ankle.

Coach Roy Williams went over to check on his star point guard, who was able to walk off the court and into the locker room under his own power.

The official word is a left ankle sprain for Berry, but it appears to be nothing too worrisome for the Tar Heels (8-1).

But his exit provided an opportunity for Woods to run the offense.

The first-year was averaging just 2.3 points in 11.1 minutes coming into Sunday’s game. He’d shown flashes of what he could become with 14 assists, but then he would come crashing back to Earth with 11 turnovers.

The results Sunday were mixed. Woods finished with nine points, a career high, but he also tallied five turnovers to one assist against the Highlanders (3-5). He’s still going through the growing pains of learning the offense and the tempo that comes with it.

“I’ve been getting pretty frustrated,” Woods said. “(Assistant) Coach (Steve Robinson) has been talking to me a lot. He said all the point guards have been through it — Joel Berry, Kendall (Marshall), Ty Lawson — they’ve all been through it their freshman year, so I’m just trying to go out there and hold my own.”

Woods can see the passes in his head and understands where the ball should be going. But sometimes his first-year jitters, as senior Isaiah Hicks called them, get in the way. With each game, his confidence grows, and he gets a little better.

The highlight of the afternoon was a decisive dunk with 11 minutes left in the second half. After stealing the ball and starting a fast break, he reached back for a slam, sending the Tar Heel faithful and bench into a frenzy.

“(He) finally made one,” Hicks said of Sunday’s dunk. “I know last time he missed it, so I was seeing if he was going to lay it up. I was like, ‘Just dunk it, just dunk it.’”

Woods is famous for his dunks and highlight reels, with millions of views from his high school years. One from 2013 has over 14 million views on YouTube.

“I believe everybody knows who Seventh is,” Hicks said. “Everybody knows who he is because of that.”

The problem for Seventh has been the gap between who everyone thinks he is and what it takes to be that player on the court. His 22 minutes on Sunday will only help him grow into the point guard Williams recruited him to be.

“I’m not calling him Seventh because I haven’t seen the guy I recruited show up yet,” Williams said after the team’s 93-67 win over Long Beach State on Nov. 15. “But he’s going to get here.”

After Sunday’s game, Woods wasn’t sure if he’d earned his name back in the eyes of his coach.

“I’ve heard him call me Sixth, but not lately, I haven’t heard it,” he said.

“So maybe I am Seventh again.”

@bauman_john