Wilson Library names new director, librarian for special collections

Estorino said she is enthusiastic about starting her new role at Wilson Library in January.

“Wilson Library presents a unique mix of deep and historic collections, a knowledgeable and committed staff and a University with a long history of public service and trust,” Estorino said in a statement.

“I look forward to working with the Wilson team and with the community so that, together, we can set a collaborative and inclusive course for special collections in the 21st century.”

The Wilson Special Collections Library, which Estorino will be heading, holds over 800,000 books, 300,000 rare and unique items and an expansive collection of manuscripts, films, photographs and artifacts.

Judy Panitch, spokesperson for UNC Libraries, said she has high hopes for Estorino’s impact on Wilson Library’s special collections.

“Our special collections here are really an extraordinary treasure and resource for the University and for the world,” Panitch said.

“Continuing to make them ever stronger and ever more available for research and for teaching is going to be one of the things she’s going to be very focused on.”

Carol Hunter, deputy University librarian, was the chairperson of the search committee that hired Estorino. Hunter said the committee was drawn to Estorino because of her communication skills and passion.

“She was passionate and knowledgeable about her field,” Hunter said.

“She was a wonderful communicator with various constituent groups, which is very important on the University campus. We have students, faculty, staff and a community at large. Wilson Library is such a strong library, and so we wanted someone with those qualifications at the helm.”

Hunter said Estorino will bring a variety of skills and knowledge to the job.

“I think she brings all the expertise that we would need as we move forward and I think we found in her just an exciting and, as I said before, inspirational candidate.”

Estorino will manage Wilson Library’s budget and staff, create strategy, advocate for special collections and work to enhance the building.

She will also be a member of the UNC Library’s Administrative Council and the leadership team under the University librarian.

Hunter said she expects Estorino to bring energy and devotion to the University and the staff.

“She brings a vision, inspiration and passion,” Hunter said.

Estorino’s position at Wilson Library will formally start on Jan. 1.

“We are very excited for January when she comes and joins us,” Panitch said.