UNC graduate gives birth to a Tar Heel

Lauren Price posted a photo of her daughter, Ellie's, sonogram where her foot looks like the tar heel logo. Photo courtesy of Lauren Price. 

On Dec. 27, UNC class of 2007 graduate Lauren Pierce posted a picture of her daughter’s sonogram in the “Overheard at UNC” Facebook group, where it received more than 2,000 likes. Pierce said the dark spot on her baby’s foot in the sonogram showed she would be a Tar Heel.

The post resonated with many, especially those like UNC class of 2013 graduate Kiara Palmer, who is expecting a baby.

“It’s exciting when you bring new life to the world, especially someone who is destined to go to Carolina,” Palmer said.

“I think during the time that so much has happened in politics in the United States, even at Carolina, I think that it’s cool to see something that was a little more uplifting at the time, and I was really glad she shared that. I just hope one day that my baby looks like that too.”

The post was originally on Pierce’s personal Facebook, but she decided to post on Overheard after a Facebook friend suggested it.

“I had never actually heard of that Facebook group,” Pierce said. “So, after joining and seeing what other people were posting, I thought it would be cute to post the ultrasound.”

UNC School of Education student Nestor Ramirez said he thought the post was cute.

“It was a nice break from memes and links, especially given how happy she must be about expecting a child,” he said.

Pierce gave birth to Ellie, her first child, in November.

“Lauren has always been someone that I’ve looked up to, and now Ellie has that same great role model,” Lauren’s younger sister Chelsea Pierce said. “Ellie is perfect. She already has so much sass and personality, and is a spitting image of Lauren.”

Lauren currently works as a school psychologist in Greensboro. While at UNC, she studied abroad in Florence, Italy and was an active member of Phi Beta Chi, a Christian sorority.

“I would love for her to be a Tar Heel and go to Carolina one day,” Lauren said. “I loved Carolina and had a great experience when I was there. I always wanted to go to that school, so it would mean a lot for her to go too because my experience was so awesome, and I would want her to be able to have that as well.”

Chelsea, meanwhile, went to cosmetology school at Roanoke-Chowan Community College and is a Duke fan.

“I think with all of Lauren’s Carolina pride, I’ve lost the Tobacco Road battle when it comes to Ellie,” Chelsea said.

Rivalries aside, Lauren also hopes to instill a love of travel in Ellie.

“I want (Ellie) to become a well-rounded woman and to be successful in school and life,” Lauren said. “I hope she will want to travel with me — I like to travel a lot, so I want us to travel together when she gets older.”

@countingteacups

swerve@dailytarheel.com