Nobel prize winner Oliver Smithies dies at 91

Dr. Smithies, Nobel Prize winner and UNC professor, spoke at a ceremony in Davis library honoring his and Dr. Sancar's achievements, a fellow UNC professor and Nobel Prize winner.

“His whole life was devoted to science both as a profession, his vocation, but it was also his hobby, avocation as well,” said Dr. Charles Jennette, chairperson of the department of pathology and laboratory medicine, who has known Smithies for about 30 years.

The distinguished professor of pathology and laboratory medicine passed away on Tuesday at 91 after a short illness.

“Well of course it’s a great loss for Oliver to pass away, but he’s left a tremendous legacy here that will continue and a research program that will be continued by his wife and other faculty,” Jennette said.

Smithies won the Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine in 2007 for his work targeting genetic modification of cells. He also developed the gel electrophoresis technique which allows scientists to better study blood cells. He receive a doctoral degree from Oxford University, and Jennette said he has spent 70 years as a scientist.

“When he came to UNC in 1988, we were sort of a middle-of-the-pack research University, and in 2017 we’re one of the top research universities in the world,” said Ned Sharpless, director of the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center.

“And if you think about who was important to that expansion of the research effort I would say Oliver was one of the very most important people because he really defined the standard of research excellence for the University.”

Dedicated to his work, Smithies worked every day in his lab.

“He was working in the lab seven days a week in the lab up until the day he died virtually,” Sharpless said. “He washed his own glassware, this was a guy who really liked science.”

On Nov. 7, Smithies donated his notebooks to the University. The notebooks, which he started when he was an undergraduate, outline his research throughout his career. They were digitized and put on the Oliver Smithies Research Archive website.

His wife, Dr. Nobuyo Maeda, continues to work as a professor of pathology and laboratory medicine in the School of Medicine. She and Smithies joined the UNC faculty in 1988.

Jennette said when Smithies wasn’t working, he was either going on vacations with Maeda or flying his power glider around Chapel Hill.

Sharpless said Smithies worked on problems that some could consider technical or not very interesting. He wanted to learn new systems.

“He was one of those people who really liked to solve things,” he said.

Jennette said Smithies was a kind person who was always enjoyable to talk to. He said whenever someone talked to Smithies they were energized.

“Oliver was just a really great thinker who followed things to their conclusion,” Sharpless said. “So when there’s someone in your midst like that you try to be like that person.”