Opinion: Gov. Cooper, we need to help our microbreweries

Dear Gov. Roy Cooper,

We know a lot is playing on your mind right now. The North Carolina General Assembly is giving you a lot of stress, House Bill 2 is still a law (somehow) and pesky student opinion writers are gearing up to nitpick your every move.

You need to relax in your new swanky Raleigh mansion with a cold North Carolina brewed beer.

The problem is, Mr. Governor, given the current laws limiting alcohol distribution in this state, you may be hard-pressed to find that beer you love from Asheville when you’re in a Raleigh store.

As it stands, breweries must have a third-party distributor if they wish to produce more than 25,000 barrels per year. Yes, that is a lot of beer, but North Carolina brews are becoming increasingly popular. Look up the best cities for microbreweries and you will see at least one North Carolina town on most lists.

Mr. Governor, we realize you cannot change this on your own, but your voice matters.

This board proposes a deal: Say you support relaxing North Carolina drinking laws, and we will buy you a case of your favorite North Carolina crafted beer and deliver it to your door. Seriously, we will.

Even if it is not local to the Triangle area, we will drive to the brewery and bring it back to Raleigh.

Have more than one favorite? We can do a Harris Teeter “create your own six pack” type thing.

Once again, we don’t expect you to change the law, we just want to know you care about encouraging entrepreneurship and furthering creation through alcohol in North Carolina.

Cheers!