Opinion: Philosophy department uses Gen Ed credit to serve Chapel Hill

Perhaps one of the most unique components of the University’s General Education curriculum is the Experiential Education — or EE — requirement.

Each department has its own way of fulfilling the EE requirement. Some, for example, offer classes that encourage students to engage with the local community off campus.

The philosophy department offers such a class, PHIL 292, which “combines on-campus structured learning with substantial on-site field work incorporating philosophy into the primary and/or secondary school curriculum.”

The philosophy department’s approach to the EE credit ought to be lauded, for it allows its students to fulfill a relatively elusive credit while engaging with the broader Orange County community.

Furthermore, the course will also help to introduce children to a subject that they will probably only learn formally if they are able to attend college.

Admittedly, it might be difficult for other departments to follow suit entirely. Subjects like math, after all, will be taught to primary and secondary school students regardless of whether or not the UNC mathematics department creates an EE class for teaching the subject to children.

However, PHIL 292 represents the importance of having an EE credit within the General Education curriculum.

If more academic departments would follow the philosophy department’s lead, it would be beneficial to not only their students, but the community surrounding our campus.