Opinion: Parents should have conversations about consent with kids

Bystander intervention, consent and sexual assault are increasingly common topics on college campuses.

While the discourse on the topics has worked to undercut rape culture and create a safer space for survivors, the conversation has failed to spread to high school campuses.

Research conducted by joint Orange County Rape Crisis Center and UNC Public Policy Capstone Team revealed that 18 percent of surveyed high school students in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools system did not know that an individual who has consented to sex may withdraw their consent at any time.

Further, a frightening 24 percent of students did not know that flirting does not constitute consent to sex, and 19 percent of students did not know that past consent does not constitute present consent. The research indicates a widespread failure of the school system to provide sufficient education and bystander intervention training to high school students.

While the Orange County Rape Crisis Center and the high school activist group Youth Against Rape Culture have made strides to educate the student body, they cannot complete the task alone.

Given the recent sexual assault cases at East Chapel Hill High School, it is imperative that parents become involved in educating their children about sexual assault, consent and bystander intervention.

Parents are tasked with passing on skills and values essential to a fulfilling life. While these conversations may be uncomfortable, they are essential to creating a safe and inclusive environment for all students.