Rebounding woes haunt UNC women's basketball in loss to Wake Forest

Forward Stephanie Watts (5) goes up for a layup at the Wake Forest game on Thursday. 

Those are the four words that can be found on the bedroom ceiling of every North Carolina women’s basketball player. Those four words were also what kept the Tar Heels from getting their second ACC win of the season in their 80-77 loss against Wake Forest on Thursday.

“During practice one day, I had the managers go over and they taped them to the ceiling, so when they lay down at night to go to bed it is right in front their face,” UNC head coach Sylvia Hatchell said.

“Every one of them, when they lay down to go to bed, it’s on their ceiling. It’s in their bathrooms, it’s in their living area, it’s everywhere. I told them the only thing I hadn’t done was pipe it in to their rooms. That’s the next thing I’m going to do.”

Hatchell wants her players to breathe rebounding and boxing out. It’s the first thing they see in the morning, and it’s the last thing they see before they go to bed.

“I still have the one from when they did it last year,” sophomore Stephanie Watts said with a smile. “It’s all over my living room, also.”

But so far this season, the posters have not been enough.

“The rebounding has just been our Achilles all year,” Hatchell said. “It’s killing us.”

In Thursday’s contest, the Tar Heels were outrebounded by the Demon Deacons, 42-32. With a bevy of young post players still developing, and just one player — Hillary Fuller — with solid experience, the inability to rebound cost the team numerous second-chance points and even overshadowed the impressive performances from Watts and versatile guard Paris Kea.

Kea and Watts got hot at the start of the game, and they were constantly trying to outdo the other. By the end of it, Watts had 25 points and nine rebounds. Kea wasn’t far behind with 21 points and five assists. The pair accounted for six of the team’s nine made 3-pointers.

“I knew my shot was on the past couple games,” Kea said. “And then in the gym shooting, it came through for me tonight.”

As good as Kea and Watts were, the two cooled off dramatically in the second quarter. When the team stopped rebounding, they also stopped scoring and found themselves in a nearly four-minute drought.

“Everybody’s got an assignment. They’ve got to box out, and I watch the film and see that,” Hatchell said. “You can’t just go in there and out-jump people; you have to box them out.”

As they look ahead to the rest of the season, Hatchell said she’s ready to see how the young players progress and how much better they get this season and in the future.

“It’s not just right this moment — we have to look down the road because of the kids we’ve got coming,” she said. “And how much better all of them are going to get.”

@_JACKF54_