Second quarter dooms UNC women's basketball again in loss to Pittsburgh

After falling victim to a brutal second quarter earlier this week in a road loss to Duke, scoring droughts continued to hamper the North Carolina women’s basketball team (12-6, 1-4 ACC) in a 68-48 loss at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Through much of the first quarter, the Tar Heels kept up with the Panthers — who were hot from the 3-point line — and found themselves well within reach of a manageable game down by just six points at the end of the first quarter. But the end of the first quarter would set a dangerous precedent for the rest of the game.

After Stephanie Watts knocked down two free throws with 1:13 seconds left, the Tar Heels didn't score for the remainder of the quarter.

The second quarter would not be any more forgiving. The scoring drought continued, as the team managed to only score six points through the rest of the half. 

By that point, the team had committed 11 turnovers, shot just 22 percent from the field and found themselves down 35-16 at the break. The quarter also marked its largest scoring drought of the game, spanning five minutes.

The second quarter woes would prove to be too much to overcome in the second half. Although Jamie Cherry and company came out hot in the third quarter, narrowing the deficit down to 12 points, they could not overcome their second quarter performance.

Cherry was the only Tar Heel to score double digits in the game, leading the stat sheet with 13 points and seven rebounds. When the Tar Heels came out after the half, the lead was cut down largely because she took control and scored a number of baskets, running the floor all the way from the defensive rebound to the hoop.

Watts, who played the entire 40 minutes, also stood out. Though she didn’t score as much as usual, Watts added nine points, seven rebounds, and hit one of the teams only three 3-point shots.

The hole dug in the second quarter would decide the contest early on Sunday. Though the team fought admirably in the opening minutes of the second half, they would not be able to catch up with the Pitt offense.

The loss to the Panthers drops UNC to 1-4 in the ACC so far this season. The 20-point loss revealed a team that was trying to win individually without working together to create opportunities on offense. 

Over the game, the team accounted for only four assists, and also shot just 30 percent from the field.

The loss was the team’s first loss in ACC play to an unranked opponent this season. If the Tar Heels want to remain competitive in ACC play, the team will need to improve on offense in its next game.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will look to rebound next Thursday in Chapel Hill, when they take on Wake Forest at 7 p.m.

@_JACKF54_