South Green development announces taco bar and brewery tenants

South Green development in Carrboro will be home to new restaurants and retail shops on S. Greensboro St. Construction has yet to begin.

The multi-building development will be located off Highway 54 near the southern border of Carrboro, according to a press release.

Jason McCarter, one of three co-owners of Gimghoul Brewery, said the location of South Green is perfect for the brewery because they were looking for something centrally located in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area.

“My view­ — and what I would like to do — is not only provide great beer to customers, but also interact with the community,” McCarter said.

Gimghoul Brewery will be a micro-brewery and is named after the Chapel Hill landmark Gimghoul Castle.

“We want to make ourselves known in Chapel Hill and Carrboro and kind of embrace local lore, and we hope our beer will become legendary like the story itself,” McCarter said.

Atlas Taco Bar will be operated by Kevin Callaghan, who also owns Acme Food and Beverage Company in Carrboro. Callaghan couldn’t be reached for comment.

Gary Hill, one of the owners of the property, said the development will be finished in 2018.

“Almost four and a half, five years ago, myself and two of my partners — we’re from here — we had seen this property sitting here for years, and it became available so we purchased it,” Hill said.

Hill is also a senior associate at Avison Young, the company that is providing leasing services for South Green.

The retail center is predicted to have a property value of $4.4 million and will bring in an estimated $38,640 in sales tax to the town of Carrboro each year.

Annette Lafferty, the director of economic and community development for the town of Carrboro, said the South Green property was in need of redevelopment.

“The property became available for purchase, and some local investors came together to purchase the property and expand the commercial tax base in Carrboro,” she said in an email.

Woodhill NC, LLC, a partnership of local residents that includes Hill, owns the property and will develop it.

Aside from retail space, South Green will also extend the Carrboro bike path and have the largest pervious parking lot in the Triangle area. The center will be comprised of three to four buildings.

“We wanted to revive a dilapidated piece of property along a main entryway of Carrboro, and we’re pushing forward with that and trying to make it happen,” Hill said.

The construction of South Green is expected to begin after the project to replace the storm water pipe under South Greensboro Street is completed in June.

Hill said the retail center is expected to take 18 to 22 months to build and will be finished by mid-to-late 2018.

“We think it’s going to be a great addition to the town of Carrboro, and we’re excited about where we’re headed,” Hill said.

@laurentalley13