Waka Flocka, Charlotte rapper Well$ take the stage this weekend

Well$ performs at Motorco Music Hall Friday evening.

Waka Flocka Flame and Well$ are taking the stage this weekend in a two-night event — one of which is already sold out.

Rising star Well$ first performed in Chapel Hill two years ago at the 2015 Spring Jubilee Concert, and said the experience was one of the most memorable shows he has performed.

The Charlotte native started rapping at a young age, freestyling with friends for fun.

“Every kid in the hood raps,” he said. “Hip-hop is culture; it’s community. It’s not like golf where you have to go somewhere to do it. I just did it as a child, you know, freestyle raps. And I was kind of good at it.”

While fame has negative repercussions for some, Well$ handles it well and said he uses it for personal growth.

“Rap has made me grow tenfold,” he said. “Honestly, getting big has really made me mature as a person.”

Well$ has performed at Cat’s Cradle before, but he has never performed with Waka, and said he is excited for the crowd expected at the show.

“I think that this show is going to be different because more people are familiar with who I am,” he said. “You know, you grow and you learn better tricks, better ways to start. It’s more professional with the actual performance. I now have a light guy, sound guy, to make sure I get the same quality every time.”

While not everyone is very familiar with the rapper, many are excited to have a Charlotte native performing in the area.

Sophomore Kate Nieri, a political science and peace, war and defense major, said it is important to have North Carolina represented in such a way.

“It’s important for a lot of reasons,” she said. “We want to have a good reputation as a state and a university. We want to produce cultural content that impacts lots of people around the country.”

Nieri’s friend Julia Maguire, a sophomore chemistry major, said she has been to Cat’s Cradle for shows before and loves the intimacy of the venue.

“I’m really excited because I was supposed to come when (Waka) came last year, but I couldn’t because of class. But I can actually go this year so I’m really excited about that.”

Nieri and Maguire said they are going to the concert together along with a large group of friends.

According to the event’s Facebook page, over 200 people are attending while over 800 are interested in the Saturday night concert. About 50 are attending Sunday night’s performance and another 190 are interested.

Both Saturday and Sunday’s shows begin at 9 p.m. with doors opening at 8 p.m. Tickets are available on the Cat’s Cradle website, catscradle.com.

@nicola_mcirvine

swerve@dailytarheel.com