What to look for as UNC men's basketball takes on Florida State

UNC forward Justin Jackson (44) dribbles around an N.C. State defender. The Tar Heels face Florida State on Saturday in Chapel Hill. 

UNC met the Seminoles (16-1, 4-0 ACC) just once last season — a barn-burner that saw Brice Johnson put up 39 points and 23 rebounds in a 106-90 North Carolina win.

Here’s what to watch for as North Carolina takes on Florida State.

How do they play?

Florida State is led by the three-headed monster of junior Xavier Rathan-Mayes, sophomore Dwayne Bacon and first-year phenom Jonathan Isaac. Together, the trio lead an offensive attack that can give any team in the country trouble.

Bacon, Isaac and Rathan-Mayes combine for 41 points per game and are a big reason why the Seminoles are No. 20 in the country in offensive efficiency, according to kenpom.com.

But what separates this year’s team from the one that gave up 106 points to the Tar Heels last season is an improved defense. In 2015-16, Florida State gave up 74 points per game. This year, the Seminoles have cut that down to 68.9 points per game, and they have held four opponents who rank in the top-25 of offensive efficiency to less than 80 points.

Part of what has allowed Florida State to do this is its size. The Seminoles — who feature nine players who stand 6-foot-6 or taller — are No. 2 in the country in average height.

This could pose problems for North Carolina, which has often held the height advantage over its opponents so far this season.

Who stands out?

While Bacon and Isaac are first and second on the team in points per game, Rathan-Mayes can often be the most dangerous player on the floor for the Seminoles.

The guard lit up UNC last season, shooting 7-of-9 from 3-point range on the way to a 30-point performance. In 2016-17, Rathan-Mayes has raised both his field goal percentage and his 3-point percentage. He also has a 2.52 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Rathan-Mayes can give opponents problems from anywhere on the court. At 6-foot-4, he is taller than most average point guards, allowing him to bully his way inside and get high-percentage shots right at the basket.

Biggest weakness?

The Seminoles are a fairly young team, coming in at No. 306 in the country with an average experience level of 1.26 years.

Florida State’s starting lineup this season has mainly consisted of three underclassmen. And while those younger players are obviously talented, experience is a key factor when taking on tough conference opponents.

North Carolina is one of the most experienced teams in the country, and in a game of two very good teams, experience could be what ultimately affects the outcome of the game.

Why could they win?

The Seminoles defeated two of the ACC’s best — Duke and Virginia — in their last three games. With that in mind, Florida State should be completely confident in its own abilities as it travels to Chapel Hill.

The length Florida State brings could also be a deciding factor. Rathan-Mayes is tall enough to bother Joel Berry on the defensive end. And with two 7-footers, the Seminoles should be able to hold their own on the glass against Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks, something not many teams have done this season.

@jbo_vernon