Activists protest abortion and Planned Parenthood in Chapel Hill

People protest against abortion and Planned Parenthood outside the Planned Parenthood building on Dobbins Drive on February 11, 2017.

Waving banners, posters and wooden crosses, more than 30 people joined forces in support of the recent push by Republican congressional leaders to strip Planned Parenthood of government funding.

Additionally, four women attended to counter-protest in favor of abortion access and lend support to women seeking medical services.

Robert Hart, the rector at St. Benedict’s Anglican Church in Chapel Hill, said he doesn’t approve of federal tax funding going to Planned Parenthood.

“If they want to do it and they’re going to take money out of my pocket by force to do that, then they are forcing me to participate in a grave injustice that I see as pure evil,” he said.

Planned Parenthood currently receives 43 percent of its revenue from government funding, according to its website. The majority of the funding goes to STD/STI testing and providing contraception. Abortions account for 3 percent of the services performed annually.

Paul Borer, a Clayton resident, said abortions are a terrible shame for the country.

“God’s going to ask us one day what we did, and I tell my wife some days, ‘Why didn’t I run into (Planned Parenthood) or stand on the corner in downtown and scream at the top of my lungs and tell everybody that we’re killing our kids?’” he said.

Grace Garner, a junior at UNC and president of UNC’s Students for Life, was one of several students protesting. She said the group has been to many protests and that the reactions can be varied.

“There are some fringe people who can be very nasty toward us, which is what I think scares some people away from saying that they are pro-life,” Garner said. “But the majority of students either ignore us or are at least polite. And there are a lot of closeted pro-lifers that are hesitant to come out, but they are there and they appreciate seeing us do things.”

Not all attitudes followed the anti-abortion rhetoric. Elish Melchiade from Fuquay-Varina came to support Planned Parenthood, as she had experienced firsthand anger and intimidation when she went to a clinic.

“I was scared to even get out of my car, so when I heard about this today I wanted to make sure no one else encountered that,” she said.

Jenn Meyers, a pro-abortion rights supporter from Raleigh, said she was glad both sides were able to exercise their rights and share their opinions.

“I haven’t had an abortion — I’ve been lucky enough in my life not to need Planned Parenthood — but I am not representative of everybody in the country and can’t possibly begin to judge other people based off of my own life and my experiences,” Meyers said. “We all have different stories and I think it’s important that we keep our options open.”

@molly_horak

city@dailytarheel