This may be a wild concept to some of you, especially given our current political context, but being conservative is OK. Conservatism often forces the discussion of important principles that make for better public policy. Conservatism is at the bedrock of our democracy, and I will even admit that conservatives are necessary.

But let us not get it twisted.

What we are experiencing now is not conservatism. This is something I really, truly, want my conservative friends to know. This current regime which has taken over the White House and controls both houses of government is not, by any stretch of the imagination, rooted in principled conservatism. What we are experiencing today is power hunger, and it’s dangerous, divisive and immoral.

If you are just now waking up to the realities of the world — you are super late, and yet right on time — welcome. Know that the world is not going to end. Yes, we face serious problems, but we have been here before. Coretta Scott King said it better than I ever could — “Struggle is a never-ending process. Freedom is never really won, you earn it and win it in every generation.” It is our time to rise to the challenge by using social media less, taking to the streets more, calling your representatives and going on record and talking in person TO people, not AT people. You can start this Saturday by attending the demonstrations being held at the State Capitol.

The days that have followed our president’s inauguration have led me to question reality. When did we exchange truth for alternative facts, and civil liberties for illusions of security? What does that say for the nature of truth? What happened to American principles? When did conservatism begin requiring a rejection of science?

I think what Eliot Cohen, former Counselor of the Department of State under President George W. Bush, said in reference to the so-called “Muslim Ban” speaks for all of us. He said, “This isn’t normal. It’s not humane, it’s not thought through, it’s not necessary, it’s not wise, it’s not decent and above all, it’s not American.”

My question from here is what are we going to do? How will the opposing party, the Democratic party, respond and ultimately how will they combat extremism in the White House and Congress on our behalf?

What will they fight extremism with? Deference? Compromise? As world history tells us time and time again: you cannot fight extremism with moderation. If you have not been freaking the fuck out over the past two weeks at the signals the White House is sending, let me just remind you that Inauguration Day was less than two weeks ago.

The Republicans who rule the White House and the “moderate Republicans” who allow this to persist are recklessly disregarding reason and principle in favor of partisan unity. This cannot be allowed to continue. As human beings we are morally obligated to oppose these hateful, dangerous ideologies.

Resist.