Mixed Concrete art auction show mixes community activism with art

Mixed Concrete, an art show benefiting UNC Habitat for Humanity, will be held on Saturday evening from 6:30 to 11:00 at Tru Deli and Wine.

The auction will showcase art from artists in Chapel Hill and the Triangle Area.

Matt Coleman, senior and president of UNC Habitat for Humanity, said all the proceeds will be going directly to Chapel Hill resident Joyce Powell’s home.

“I’m most excited about Joyce coming, who will be benefiting from this event,” Coleman said. “She is the recipient of the house we worked on last semester. Hopefully the benefit from Mixed Concrete will finish out the house for her.”

Joyce Powell lived in a home with black mold that caused her blood pressure to increase.

When her oldest son, Gregory, was walking to the hospital to visit her, he was hit by a car and killed.

Coleman said Powell’s story has directly impacted him in many ways.

“She’s faced a lot of adversity through her life,” Coleman said. “She is resilient, positive, joyful and optimistic — she still remains really motivated throughout a lot of negative things that happened throughout her life. Seeing that positivity is really encouraging.”

Annie Gray Dixon, senior and co-leader of Mixed Concrete, said she’s grateful she can give back through her art.

“There is so much good that can be given back in small things — using my small talent for good,” she said.

Mary McCall Leland, first-year and member of Mixed Concrete, said she values being a part of Mixed Concrete as a way to use her art for the philanthropic deeds of her community.

“It’s a way for me to make an impact outside my social circle, outside my classes, outside my dorm and see real good being done,” she said.

Dixon encourages students and faculty members to come and support the local art and the community at the auction.

Leland said she believes by participating in this auction, community members will be able to indirectly connect with people that aren’t a part of their normal circles.

“Because by buying the art they are helping people within their community, who are a part of their community.”

@michellekdixon_

swerve@dailytarheel.com