Coming off a trip to Puerto Rico to open up the season, the North Carolina softball team (3-3) returned to Chapel Hill in victorious fashion as it captured a 6-2 victory over Elon (3-1) in the first home game of the season.

The first 1 1/2 innings were quiet on both sides until UNC sophomore Berlynne Delamora blasted the second pitch she saw over the center field fence.

The home run seemed to spark both teams. Heading into the third inning, the Tar Heels made a pitching change — first-year Kellyn Daly in for senior Kendra Lynch. Elon capitalized on the change, scoring one run on a double.

In the bottom of the third, sophomore Destiny DeBerry singled to center field. During the next batter up, DeBerry stole second — her third stolen base of the season.

At the top of the fourth, UNC made another pitching change, this time with sophomore Syndey Matzko taking the mound. Helping her pitcher out, right fielder Leah Murray made her second diving catch of the game, much to the astonishment of the crowd.

The Tar Heels continued their streak of impressive plays in the bottom of the fourth, in part due to three Elon errors. Both Kendra Lynch and Katie Bailiff homered, each homer running two batters in. Lynch’s home run was the 34th of her career, moving her into a fifth-place tie with Natalie Anter for most career home runs in Tar Heel history. The two home runs made the score 5-1, a deficit Elon could never overcome.

After UNC got out to a four-run lead, the game slowed down a bit. Feeling comfortable with their lead and wanting to give another first-year player game experience, the Tar Heels put Hannah Nommensen on the mound. The first batter Nommensen faced put a home run just over the fence, making the score 5-2.

Following the home run, head coach Donna Papa put yet another first-year on the mound — Brittany Pickett. This pitching change marked the fourth of the game.

In the sixth inning, UNC scored one last run, making the score 6-2.

Although home-run hitters Berlynne Delamora, Kendra Lynch, and Katie Bailiff stood out, it was Leah Murray’s performance at right field that was the most impressive. She recorded three outs, two of which came by way of laying out with full extension and snagging the ball before it hit the ground.

The Tar Heels' four-run inning doomed Elon. Although Elon was able to score a second run, they were unable to overcome the deficit established in the fourth inning by North Carolina.

This win puts the Tar Heels off to a better start in their first six games this season (3-3) than last season (2-4). This also marks their third straight win as they head into their second of ten straight home games.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will take part in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge as they face off against Ohio State in Anderson Stadium on Friday at 4 p.m.

@esingletary4