Fourth annual erotic fiction reading will occur at Linda's on Valentine's Day

On Valentine's Day, Linda's Bar and Grill on Franklin Street is hosting an erotic fiction reading presented by UNC-Chapel Hill's LAB! Theatre group, a student-run theatre organization. 

UNC seniors Anna Hughes and Catherine Shocket of LAB! will co-host the reading, which is free and will begin at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. 

The event will be an hour and a half of sensual short stories, creating a unique way of thinking about love and the human body outside of the norm on Valentine’s Day.

“I want people to embrace sexuality because it’s so often seen as something we can’t talk about," Hughes said. “An erotic fiction reading is a performance of several different types of erotica, and that is purely defined by the reader themselves."

Because of the openness of the genre, readers in attendance will be performing a variety of erotic fiction pieces in various styles. There will be a humorous piece about a 13-year-old experiencing sex, a dramatic piece of a celebration of sex and an original sexualized piece about Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

“It’s fun to push the boundaries on what a student-run theatre group can do," Shocket said. 

This will be the 4th annual erotic fiction reading hosted by LAB! on Valentine’s Day, and Linda's General Manager Michael Meadows said he’s happy to host it again. 

“The crowd is pretty much primarily students, and everybody loves it,” he said. 

Meadows said that Linda’s Downbar typically hosts one or two events from LAB! every semester, but this event has been recurring annually because of its huge success.

Attendees can expect to hear a variety of pieces read by students, some of whom wrote their own stories. Hughes said all readers had to do to participate was reach out to her or Shocket if they had something they wanted to read, either individually or in groups.

Hughes said one of the main goals for this event was to just have fun and help everyone forget that it’s Valentine’s Day.

“I want people to feel comfortable with sex, erotica and our bodies, and learn to laugh at this thing that we act like is so forbidden," she said.