Kendra Lynch secures UNC softball 6-5 win over Towson with run in extra innings

The North Carolina softball team (8-4) faced off against Towson (4-6) in its first of four games in the Carolina Classic on Friday afternoon. After a long nine innings, the Tar Heels came out victorious 6-5 in their first game of extra innings this season.

The first two innings were not shy on hits — UNC recorded five and Towson recorded one — but none of those hits translated to runs scored.

At the top of the third inning, third baseman Berlynne Delamora made an awe-worthy catch to secure the second out. Towson’s Madison Wilson bunted the ball about 15 yards away from home plate, which Delamora commenced to dive and grab right before it hitting the ground.

The bottom of the third featured three Tar Heel scores. Pitcher Kendra Lynch hit a bullet to left field, resulting in a double and three RBIs.

In the bottom of the fifth, first-year Brittany Pickett made an RBI single to left field to give UNC a 4-0 lead. A few minutes later, in the top of the sixth, Pickett replaced Lynch on the mound.

The Tigers scored their first run in the sixth on a double against Pickett pitching, making the score 4-1.

The game took an unexpected turn in the seventh inning. Towson scored one early run to make the score 4-2. Following the run, Lynch was back on the mound for UNC to finish out pitching duties. After a few at bats, Towson had runners on second and third. Towson’s Brook Miko hit a line drive at first baseman Campbell Hutcherson, a first-year, who was unable to corral the ball. The play resulted in two runs scored, making the score 5-4 in Towson’s favor.

At the bottom of the seventh inning with tensions running high, Delamora, the first batter up, blasted a ball just over the center of the fence, making the score 5-5. Towson was able to close out the inning, however, resulting in a tie to force extra innings.

With a quick three Towson outs, UNC took to the plate to try to close out the game. Pickett, the first batter up, doubled on a hit that nearly went over the fence. The Tar Heels recorded a hit and a walk following the double but were unable to capitalize on having three runners on base.

After one extra inning, the score remained 5-5.

After 8 1/2 innings, left fielder Hailey Cole flied out to left field, with Lynch tagging third and running home for the final score of the game.

Senior Kendra Lynch stood out among the rest. On offense, three was her magic number. She went 3-3 hitting, also recording three RBIs. Lynch also scored the game-winning run, which resulted from an incredible effort to get to home plate before the catcher could tag her out.

On the mound, Lynch pitched 7.2 innings, allowing only three hits and zero runs. She also recorded two strikeouts.

The three-run third inning for the Tar Heels seemed to be the deciding factor in the game. However, Towson pulled out a seemingly improbable four-run seventh inning, eventually resulting in extra innings.

The game was finally decided in the bottom of the ninth inning, when Lynch tagged third base and ran in for the final score.

After starting the season 0-3, UNC has now won eight of its last nine. The Tar Heels’ recent stretch of wins serves as a good confidence boost as they finish out the Carolina Classic and begin ACC play on Friday in a home series against Pittsburgh.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels have a quick turn around, playing against Miami of Ohio on Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

@esingletary