Kenny Williams' status unknown for UNC men's basketball's game at NC State

UNC guard Kenny Williams (24) drives in the lane against Notre Dame in Greensboro on Sunday.

Kenny Williams' status is questionable for the North Carolina men's basketball team's game Wednesday night in Raleigh against N.C. State after suffering an undisclosed injury on Tuesday. 

A Daily Tar Heel reporter saw Williams at 12:30 pm today and said he looked physically fine. However, a separate Daily Tar Heel reporter saw Williams later in the day on crutches.

At 6:53 p.m., North Carolina confirmed the injury in a press release, saying Williams injured his lower right extremity on Tuesday and that his playing status is uncertain against N.C. State.

North Carolina also confirmed that Isaiah Hicks practiced on Tuesday and said his playing status is still unknown for Wednesday's road game.

Williams is averaging 6.2 points and 3.3 rebounds per game in 26 games this season. He is arguably the team's best wing defender and brings energy and rebounding to the shooting guard position.

Williams had a nagging ankle injury, but it hasn't forced him to miss any time yet this season. Williams reinjured it against Notre Dame momentarily and missed a few minutes early in the second half. 

Sports editor C Jackson Cowart and senior writer Brendan Marks contributed reporting.