Letter: ​DTH has too many ties to endorse

The editorial board of The Daily Tar Heel endorsed Alexander Peeples and Courtney Staton for Campus Y Co-Presidents. They do not usually endorse candidates in the Campus Y Co-President race, but this year they felt it was particularly important — “the moral compass the Campus Y provides us with will be incredibly valuable this coming year.”

The board was full of praise for Peeples and Staton — they had the perfect combination of leadership, experience and vision. In contrast, they failed to think of a single good word to say about sophomore candidates Nick McKenzie and Asha Patel.

What they failed to mention is that Alexander Peeples is best friends with Opinion Editor Tyler Fleming and housemates with Georgia Brunner.

This wouldn’t be such a big deal if it the DTH made an endorsement every year, but remember that this endorsement was a complete one-off. Perhaps it would have been better to refrain from making an endorsement than to publish such a pathetic and misleading sham? And was it really necessary to shame the sophomores who dared to run against Peeples at every possible opportunity?

Congratulations to the editorial board for helping to get their best friend, colleague and housemate elected to a position of power. I’m looking forward to reading many glowing articles about the Campus Y in the year ahead.

Harry Edwards

Senior

Economics