Letter: ​UNC should promote civil discourse

Those on UNC’s campus may have recently noticed a flier that encouraged stealing and burning Trump supporters’ “Make America Great Again” hats and attacking fascists.

An image of it was posted on Overheard at UNC, where members were divided as to whether or not this constituted protected speech.

Chancellor Folt contributed to the conversation, sending out an email calling the flier “the antithesis of the values that are the foundation of our University.”

She went on to say it was meant to incite violence instead of discourse and had no place at UNC.

It is in the interest of promoting the civil discourse that Chancellor Folt called for that the Carolina Liberty Foundation, working with the UNC College Republicans and Carolina Review, has invited Dr. Mike Adams to speak at UNC.

For those who are not familiar with him, Dr. Adams is a UNCW sociology professor and free speech advocate. He has gone to court to protect his right to share his views at UNCW several times, including one occasion where he sued UNCW for denying him a promotion on the basis of his political views. The courts have always sided with Adams.

Dr. Adams is a thought-provoking speaker who I believe will promote dialogue on this critical issue. I hope as many people — members of the student body, faculty and local community alike — as possible will show up.

This is an issue that affects us all. The event is on March 6 at 7 p.m. in room 2420 of the Student Union.

Alec Dent

CEO, Carolina Liberty Foundation

Editor-in-chief, Carolina Review