Opinion: Consider spending your money to help organizations here

Donations give organizations the financial resources to survive and operate. While giving money should never be the only form of activism one takes, it certainly is helpful.

As of late, we’ve seen a rise in donations to national organizations like Planned Parenthood and the ACLU — which is great. Yet there are plenty of local organizations that need your help, too. Here are a few of the local advocacy groups we think do great work:

The Orange County Rape Crisis Center offers therapy and support to survivors of sexual violence. Donations go to helping pay for community education programs, keeping a 24-hour hotline open and providing resources for Spanish-speaking community members.

Maybe now more than ever, the Refugee Community Partnership needs community support. Located in Carrboro, the RCP helps refugees transition into American society through educational events and local support. Donations help keep the RCP operating and expanding its capacity for helping families.

Paws4Ever helps Triangle area people find their new furry best friends. They help cats and dogs find safe homes where they will be loved and looked after. Donations go to the medical costs of getting animals ready to be adopted.

TABLE strives to make sure no child goes hungry in the Chapel Hill area. While many kids are fed during school hours, TABLE makes sure they are fed on weekends and the summer. Donations go mostly to providing food, but also to support educational opportunities.

These are just a few places to consider donating. Together, we can afford a better local community.